Block and Comment Manipulation

Project here.
Currently it's mostly about making and returning them. I imported the script builder library by @pumpkinhead, @joecooldoo's "report block" block, (with a little edit making "template" blocks easier) and I got the JS for the "comment" block from @helicoptur and blocks.js.

Nice. I'd suggest adding untitled script pic that reports a comment in headline-only mode.

I'm not sure how to do that. I'd have to look at where the properties of CommentMorph are defined. Do you know what file that's in?

Edit: It's in blocks.js.

Edit 2: I just found out that the paragraph introducing CommentMorph is written from the point of view of CommentMorph itself:

/*
    I am an editable, multi-line non-scrolling text window. I can be collapsed
    to a single abbreviated line or expanded to full. My width can be adjusted
    by the user, by height is determined by the size of my text body. I can be
    either placed in a scripting area or "stuck" to a block.
*/

Not exactly what you wanted, but I updated it with this:

(And yes, I did put a silly 500 in to show that the width thing works.)

I added (collapse/expand comment []).

Can't you make one, measure the actual text width, and set the comment width to that much?

(By the way, I think it's a Snap! misfeature that if there's an actual newline ending the first line of the comment, collapsing it still uses all the text; it should just use the first line in that case. Imho.)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean a "smart" width comment?

Yeah. I might make that.

I'm not sure what you mean by that! :~) Yeah, I mean measure the actual width of the comment (by WRITEing it and checking your X POSITION).

uses a different font from comments.

Oh ugh. But I think there's another thread about an extended WRITE that lets you specify the font!

Yeah; one I was actually on, as well as you, iirc.

Well there you go then!

ctx.measureText(text);

How do I get a CanvasRenderingContext2D inside Snap!?

evaluate

Thanks! It works! And I made

kind of. It still uses all the text, but it gets set to just the right width so that only the first line can be seen:

Cool! What a hack.

(three months later)

I made the RINGIFY block actually work. Try it:
untitled script pic - 2021-12-23T190404.287
untitled script pic - 2021-12-23T190414.005

Same for literally every other morph. I think this is another quirk inherited from Squeak, which morphic.js (maybe Snap!'s coding style too) is clearly inspired by.

Yep!

IDK. You'd have to ask Jens.