Art & Music: Simulating an Impressionist Painting (Spring 2024)

Here's a link to the fourth module, Simulating an Impressionist Painting:

https://maketolearn.org/creating-art-animations-and-music/simulating-an-impressionist-painting/

Create art in through a technique known as pointillism. This method
creates a painting by placing tiny dots on the canvas to create an impression of the original painting.

I wanted to get the initial functionality in place. I chose this landscape because I really enjoy the vibrant hues and details.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=rjha11054%40gmail.com&ProjectName=Landscape

Snap! 5 simulating impressionist painting (berkeley.edu)

Current:

After browsing on Unsplash for a few minutes, I chose the image used because if it's simplicity but also the tranquility it emanates. After getting the initial functionality in place, I realized that pixel art is very similar to pointillism, and while both are beautiful, pixel art holds a closer place in my heart as a self-described nerd. So I reworked the program to turn the drawing into a pixel art piece.

While I didn't implement an elegant color palette change like I was planning on doing, I was able to change the palette to a monotone one quite simply with basic math to restrict the hue range.

Previous:

After browsing on Unsplash for a few minutes, I chose the image used because if it's simplicity but also the tranquility it emanates. After getting the initial functionality in place, I realized that pixel art is very similar to pointillism, and while both are beautiful, pixel art holds a closer place in my heart as a self-described nerd. So I reworked the program to turn the drawing into a pixel art piece. One thing I do want to try figuring out is changing the palette of the image so that it's displayed using different colors.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=gmtsuh&ProjectName=Assignment%205%20-%20Impressionist%20Painting

I chose a photograph I took of part of my high school's campus at dusk. I wasn't sure how it would look in the impressionist style, but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I created custom blocks to Setup the stage and sprites (clearing the old drawing, moving the Brush sprite to the right layer, etc.), Go to Random Position - Custom (which was the same one I used in Assignment 4), and Draw Dot (which picks the color using the method we went over in class). These steps (outside of the initial Setup) repeat 100,000 times, which I found sufficiently covers the stage, in a warp block to speed it up. Afterwards, it broadcasts "Finished" which then tells the Photo Reference to hide.

As I refine this project, I want to make my work look more "watery," which is what I associate with the impressionists. I also want to use a slightly different color palette than what is actually in the photo, which I think will achieve this effect. I'm not quite sure how to do these things yet, but I think I could start by making my colors more intense.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=sildaneza&ProjectName=AssignmentFive

Previous: For this assignment I chose a photo I took when visiting Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania. The landscape there was some of the most beautiful I have seen and I thought would look beautiful when turned into an impressionist style piece. I want to take this idea a bit further by changing the colors a bit to be less of a vibrant color scheme, trying to model it after my favorite impressionist painter Claude Monet who used a more muted color palette.

Updated: For this assignment I chose a photo I took when visiting Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania. The landscape there was some of the most beautiful I have seen and I thought would look beautiful when turned into an impressionist style piece. I changed the color scheme of the photo as planned, lightening the colors but also muting them a bit. Along with this I wanted to take the advice given in class of adding variables to my functions that way I could easily change them if I wanted new values for the number of steps taken and the pen size. With this change I decided to thin out the pen size but make it move a longer distance so there was a more blurred but fine look to the piece.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/project?username=lexiliiiii&projectname=HW5
I chose a photo that I saved online as my background. Finally, after some modification, I can make the product look like a reflection in the water.

updated: I modified my code to make it more consistent.

I have a couple of pictures I experimented with. I also changed the brush so it looked like brush strokes instead of dots to give a more painted look.

For this project I used a photo of a rainbow I took in NY 2021. I randomized the size of the dots for the painting. Snap! Build Your Own Blocks

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=jason0314&ProjectName=Impressionist%20Painting

For this project, I chose a photo of the Washington Monument I took in 2023. I chose this photo because it perfectly fits on the stage, there is no white space. I used transparency on my color reflection because I thought it would pick better colors. I set up my pen size to 2 and a higher number for my loop so it wouldn't get too pixelated.

Updated: I made a block and combined all steps to reflect colors. I added more loops so as not to have white spots on stage. I increased the pen size.

I love your photo. I wish I had some of those pictures. If you hide your turtle, I think it will look better. Everything else looks amazingly good.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=hxyhxyhxy&ProjectName=Assignment%205
I transform my photo of Navy Yard, Washington DC, from last Christmas into an impressionist artwork by using dots. Every dot I place comes together to recreate the lively atmosphere and bright colors of the scene, giving the artwork a textured look that truly captures the feeling of the moment.

Update: I added the turbo mode to speed up the code. I also added a number of repeats to the block to experiment the number of repeats that would work better for the picture and fill up the canvas.

Snap! Build Your Own Blocks I choose this photo because I love blue color, and the sky has vibrant blue that reflects on crystal-clear waters in this photo, which makes me feel calm. The brush I used in the project can spinning 360 degrees and moves a random numbers of steps picking random number from certain numbers so that I can create a classic impressionist painting.

Updates: I condense my codes to make the program more concise and readable.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=evc2bds&ProjectName=Seurat%20HW

For my project, I used the techniques that we learned in class to create a Seurat-inspired design. I made the pen size 3 and had the code draw 77700 dots in random locations on the canvas.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=darrenamona&ProjectName=Impressionist

I chose this landscape because it reminded me of the scenery in upstate New York where my friends and I would go hiking. I set my pen size to 3 so it would mesh well and the lines wouldn't be so sharp.

Pointillism - 2/14/2024
My work was inspired by A Sunday on La Grande Jatte by artist Georges Seurat.

The piece captures the camera, storing it to a costume. It then divides the screen into chunks based on the height and width variable block constants. Each chunk is assigned a clone, which then draws a uniform dot of the specified size (size * sqrt(2)).

The purpose of this uniform piece is to prevent the background from showing up in the piece. To dimish the uniform, pixel apperance, Each dot also has variance in regards to the original color of the background, which is defined by the variance constant. These are also affected by the first index of the hue, saturation and brightness adjustment constants.

Each chunk is then remade, with "layer2" which creates smaller dots that are randomly placed. These are also affected by the second index of the hue, saturation and brightness adjustment constants.

I feel this style is quite accurate to Seurat's style

I really like how you use other customized blocks inside your drawing process to complete your product. For the code, I think you can remove the step "show" in the beginning, since you already have a "tell canvas to show" in the Set Up block.

This is absolutely a beautiful picture! I see that the picture did fill up the canvas, not sure if this is what you're going for. I would recommend using [change size] or [set size to] to make the sprite fill the the canvas. Everything looks perfect!

Your painting looks great, especially how you made it look like a reflection. You might wanna condense everything you have in warp into a customized block so there's less code.

This is a magnificent piece, it looks very similar to the original painting you work with, likely because it lends itself very well to this style. One critique I have is that you show and hide the original painting using two different methods (show uses a tell block, while hide uses a broadcast), which while they work, I would recommend sticking to one way for consistency.

I think it's interesting how you manually change the hue and saturation by a little bit to mimic the muted color palette; it does it really successfully.