Art & Music: Module 4 (Fall 2023)

Here's a link to the fourth module, Simulating an Impressionist Painting:

https://maketolearn.org/creating-art-animations-and-music/simulating-an-impressionist-painting/

Create art in through a technique known as pointillism. This method
creates a painting by placing tiny dots on the canvas to create an impression of the original painting.

Module 4

I used an old art piece I did in high school for this module because I felt that I could change around the colors in an interesting way. I ended up not altering the colors too much, since the difference between each got less obvious. I did turn up the saturation which I thought made it more interesting – the background (which I intended to be one color) had multiple colors after turning up the saturation.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=jmhawkins14&ProjectName=Hawkins%20Impressionism

For my reference image, I used a Bob Ross oil painting, because I thought it would be cool to see what an oil style, realistic painting would look like in a more impressionist style. I used almost the same code as we learned in class, but I just thought that angled lines instead of dots made for a cooler final image in this particular image.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=yoonphoebe&ProjectName=impressionist%20painting

For my canvas, I used a picture of a Buddhist temple I took in Korea. When I searched up examples of impressionist/pointillism paintings, I mainly saw paintings of Western landscapes so I thought it would be interesting to do one that had an Eastern influence.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=dojaelyn&ProjectName=Seurat
I used a picture of my friends and me at Carter's Mountain because it was taken recently and was a very happy memory. With the art project, I tried to find the balance between making it resemble the reference image while also not making it just look like a pixelated version of the original image. I changed the size of the dot and the number of dots to get the final product.

I used a picture from my trip to Spain in Toledo. It was a landscape of the city, forest, and river around the historical. I used triangles instead of dots in mine to give a more mosaic effect than with circles. The buildings aren't as clear, but the general layout of the city can be seen. The overall palette was very earthy, with different greens, browns, and a light shade of blue.

I wanted to make an impressionists painting with small streaks like small paint strokes rather than dots. I also decided to brighten the background to create a more vivid image.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=hcz3yb&ProjectName=Impressionist

I noticed Georges Seurat had a tendency to use horizontal strokes for his landscape pieces like Port En Bessin or Ville D Avray which really struck me. I oriented my pen strokes horizontal to mimic this sort of technique that draws in your eyes. There is a taper effect to create the appearance of a brush stroke. There is an unique hue shift and spread of color dots across most of his work, so I replicated that with random variables changing the hues on occasion. The dots were made in the same idea as the strokes but smaller and with a brighter, more wide color palette.

The photo is a staircase I thought was pretty in a temple in North Vietnam.

Snap! Build Your Own Blocks Used a picture of me and my family during Christmas, I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the dots to show

For my reference image, I used a picture I took in Cinque Terre over the summer when I went to Italy! I thought it would look very cool in painting form just because of how many different hues and brightnesses are in the photo. I wanted to get in as much detail as possible, so instead of using dots, I utilized lines to to paint the image. Over the next week, I want to create a few lists of colors to give more options in how to create this image.

I really like the outcome of the effects you did on this. I think the choice of doing this project on a drawing was really smart, and I think the impressionism style suits it really well. The combination of pointillism and the saturation increase made for almost a pastel look, which I think is really unique and cool.

I really like the image you used, and how yours was one of the few that included both people and a landscape in the background. One think I might improve on is maybe using some other shape other than dots like either diagonal lines or triangles like we discussed in class. It would be nice to see more dimension on the facial features of the people in the image.

I love this result! I think you chose a great picture -- it has a lot of contrasting colors and tones and works really well as an impressionist painting. I also like how the streaks rotate, it makes a really cool effect. I don't really have any critiques, it looks great to me, but one thing you could consider is making a variable for contrast or brightness so that users can easily try out different tones.

Hi, I really liked your image and the way that you changed the color by brightness and saturation because it gives the painting a different vibe! I also liked the way you positioned the image to be in the center of the page with some white space around it because the dots give it an interesting border. The only comment I can think of is that you could potentially put your whole warp section of code into one new block method to abstract away the making of the painting.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=larinayu&ProjectName=impression%20painting

I wanted to generate a "painting" of a picture that I took last week at a concert! I was pretty happy with the final result, but given that my picture was vertical I did go through a couple different ideas of how to fill the entire page.

I really like the drawing you chose to do it with! This art piece is super cool, and it makes the "painting" look very interesting. I think that choosing to turn up the saturation was a great call, and it looks great!

I really love your project. I think it's really cool that you used triangles as the shape in the art, and I think it makes it look even more like a real painting. I would experiment with different sizes of the triangle to see how that would affect the final image.

I took this photo over the summer in Richmond and thought the architecture here was really bizarre. I wanted to make it look like a postcard so I drew in a border and randomized the hue and saturation to make it look misprinted a little bit.

I love how this looks. The black edges on the top inspired me to put a photo border around mine like it was an old Polaroid or postcard. Really pretty outcome!