Please make a wiki for Snap! thats not on miraheze

As you are aware, minors(under 13) use Snap! (I am a minor too lol) and
quote mirahze privacy policy "

8. Children

Miraheze does not operate Services that are targeted at people under 13 years of age, and does not collect personally identifiable information. If you are a parent or guardian and become aware that your child has been using the Services, please let us know and we will remove your child’s information.

" So minors can't use the Snap! wiki.

Ah, that's a good point.

The wiki is entirely a user-initiated project, so I've never thought about where it's hosted. Give me a while to look into this...

I agree with this.

Maybe they could host their own MediaWiki instance and import a backup from Miraheze?

@bh I agree, You should use MediaWiki.
Also, Creative Commons Legal Code (Media Wiki uses this license)

This is actually something that is being worked on by @grahamsh. We are trying to move to a service that will give us a VPS and allow us to control a MediaWiki instance there.

There was a legal reason we chose GPL reason for this (which I cannot remember) but switching to CC-BY-SA 3.0 (or 4.0) is not possible because the licenses are not compatible.

What does that mean?

Are you using GPL-3.0 or GPL-2.0?
Wait... Isn't Mirahaze under CC-BY-SA 4.0? How did you choose GPL?

EDIT: Wait, GPL-3.0 is compatible with CC-BY-SA licenses.

you could try using your parents email, I mean, that's the only personal detail that is stored on the server (passwords should be encrypted).

Maybe I could self-host it?

Why you just rent another server and run MediaWiki on it.

Two things.

One, don't be so free with spending our nonexistent money. Our existing servers have, much of the time, been supported out-of-pocket by Jens and Michael.

Two, the wiki has no official connection with us. It's not clear we could host it without taking on the obligation to moderate it.

Uh... you got $5625 from Snap!Con of 2021.(225 attendees * $25 tickets) :thinking:

Probably more because I'm sure everyone didn't just buy the $25 singular ticket.

Welcome back!

Hey, Is AGPL-3.0 compatible with GPL-3.0?

Yes, I believe so. It adds some text specifically about software provided as a service online, as opposed to software distributed for you to install on your computer.

Indeed. There are some hosting costs for Snap!Con itself, but some of that money will probably reimburse the out-of-pocket hosting expenses of Jens and Michael. I don't think there's a lot of extra money, but I suppose I should try to find out.

It's only one-way compatible, see Creative Commons BY-SA 4.0 declared one-way compatible with GNU GPL version 3 — Free Software Foundation — Working together for free software which explicitly states:

However, this compatibility is one-way only, meaning you can not release adaptations GPLv3-covered works under the terms of CC BY-SA 4.0.

As I understand it, we cannot change the license without taking every contributor's consent first some of whom may have come from other Miraheze wikis and might no longer be active.

The reality is worse, there are several other places where PII is stored.