Mercator World Map

sorry for being inactive, i got burntout of programming,

i have a new project called Mercator World Map, its a scrollable map of the world in the mercator projection.

most of my new projects will be geography-based, and like country based.

check it out! Snap! Build Your Own Blocks

nice
i recently learned about several of the different map projections... you should try to make a program that can twist and warp a map using different algorithms to make a map with a specific projection

thanks, and cool

sorry, i mindlessly posted that without finishing it (I'm really sick right now and my brain isn't using 100% power)... read it again

like a project that can switch map projections?

yea. do you think you can do it?

ill see, it might take a bit but maybe

for some projections you might have to simulate some kind of 3d space

The map is out of date.

• In 2011, South Sudan gained independence from Sudan.
  • In 2018, Swaziland's name was changed to Eswatini.
  • Also in 2018, Macedonia's name changed to North Macedonia.
  • In 2021, the border between Qatar and Saudi Arabia was moved so that Qatar owns a small bay.
  • In 2022, Turkey changed its name to Türkiye; the UN does not recognize this change.

I'm sorry if this feels like criticism, but I HAD to post this; I'm not criticizing you. I'm just saying that you might want to find a more up-to-date map. I'm somewhat of a geography expert, and I am always keeping a careful watch on geopolitical changes. It always bothers me when a map is out of date.

You might also like this: World Map

I forgot to mention it was a bit outdated, i got the map from somewhere online. but yeah, ill update it eventully

Other than what I mentioned above, it's quite neat.

thank you

Wait a sec--it's copyrighted. Are you sure you can use the map?

eh probably not but like, if they need me to take it down i will

I think you can find a usable one. Wikimedia? Have a look.

You should include a paragraph about how racist the Mercator projection is. And about the virtues and flaws of any other projection you add. That would make it more interesting to non-geographers!

Thereby narrowly avoiding a war, although I was unhappy at that resolution. :~/

O, come on, this is so 21st century liberal bubble PC.
(I don't usually do politics, but @bh started this, thus it must be permitted in this case :smirk: and I'd rather discuss than flag anyway)

Every projection of a 3D-curved surface onto a flat plan is obviously imperfect. Mercator's has been eminently useful for navigation purposes, which was a major reason for making world maps in the 16th century - Mercator, or by his real (Flemish/Dutch) name: Geert de Kremer (English equivalent: Gerry Merchant), lived from 1512 through 1594. A dweller of the Low Countries myself (and a liberal btw), I feel inclined to defend his legacy against unjustified disqualifications.

It would be fair to say that the widespread continued use, even throughout much of the 20th century, of the Mercator projection for general-purpose geographical maps - despite the supposed awareness of distortions in the size of areas to the detriment of what 's presently called the Global South (and, at least theoretically, to the advantage of indigenous peoples of the polar area :wink:) – reflects a colonial (geocentric, arrogant, insensitive) mentality on the part of the dominant actors, i.e. editors, educators, politicians and others, mostly in Europe and North America.

That doesn't make the projection itself racist, though. Nor does it detract from the historical, monumental value of the Mercator projection. Of course, nowadays, anyone who let themselves trick into believing a Mercator projection based world map is a true representation of regional proportions, are either idiots or fools (including flat-earthers :flatbread: ).

Something to chew on: what if a different, equal-area, projection would have been predominantly used for navigation throughout the Colonial Age, and would thus have been instrumental in "Western" (= Northern) dominance of the Global South (which is mostly in the Middle) .. would that projection have been called "racist", too?

... for Eurasians.

Maybe it's different now that people learn about different projections, but I spent my first 20 years or so of life thinking South America was small.

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that Mercator himself was racist. I have no idea what his politics were like. But, boy, it was an eye-opener the first time I saw a South Pole-based Mercator (which happened in the 20th century, for what it's worth).

If you mean, is it a good thing that the Europeans had terrible maps back then, it'd be nice to think so, but they seem to have found America anyway. (Even oversized North America was a mystery at first.)

P.S. Any country that has Franz Hals and Vincent van Gogh doesn't need maps; they're already there!

P.P.S. Is "Mercator" a Latinization?

Guys, have you never seen the Earth globus?

thank you, Dariusz!

Yes, from the 17th century Mercator projection was also used by Asian navigators.

He may have been a Lutheran, and spent seven months in prison while he was being investigated by the Roman Catholic inquisition for being a heretic. They didn’t find any evidence against him and he had influential friends, so in the end they released him (others were tortured, and brutally killed). He eventually moved from Flanders to (humanist, more religiously tolerant) duchy Cleve (in present-day Germany, bordering the Low Countries).

Colombus “discovered” America even before Mercator was born.

Thank you! Still, the flourishing of painting in the Low Countries was ultimately made financially possible by the ample proceeds from (international) trade.

By the way Frans Hals and Vincent van Gogh (and e.g. Bosch, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Mondriaan, Willem de Kooning) were Dutch (though three of these lived abroad for much of their lives), whereas Mercator was from Flanders (Flanders and present-day Netherlands, jointly the Low Countries, belonged to Charles V’s Habsburg empire at the time).

Flanders spawned many famous painters as well - just to name a few: the Van Eyck brothers, Brueghel family, Rubens, Van Dijck, Ensor, and Magritte (well, the latter was born in a different part of present-day Belgium, but lived mostly in Brussels, which is the capital of Flanders though most of its inhabitants are French-speaking).

Definitely. In Mercator's days Latin was the international language of the church, and therefore of science. Many prominent people of civil (non-noble) descent latinized their names, which was easily done because there was no such thing as a civil registry at the time, except in France (from 1539).