Hyperized variable modification

@d4s_over_dt4 recently created a forum topic:"Change x by y not hyperized" (it was closed by @jens because of the user's supposed hyper-activity :wink: ). Much of the answer to his request can be found in the earlier forum topic "Make 'set' and 'change' hyperizable".
As it happens I recently created hyperized "set" and "change"-like commands and reporters, such as:

Programming tools script pic (11)

A basic application example:

Programming tools script pic (12) → Programming tools script pic (13)

See for more examples, the Variables sprite in: Programming tools.

It's worth noting here that you can always roll your own:
untitled script pic (1)
(and with macros you can write your own hyperized CHANGE!)

I really liked the specific use case of adding a vector velocity to a vector position, so instead of variables I want
untitled script pic
But that, too, you can write yourself.

I already did, no funny business involved (= macroless). See the INCREASE block in post 1 (that’s a more specific name for CHANGE).

In my library I also included (hyperized) DECREASE, MULTIPLY, DIVIDE blocks and - you’ll surely appreciate this :wink: - MODIFY (with lambda operator):

bh does not like mutation blocks

Well, not when we're talking about lambda calculus! I have been known to use mutation in practice. I just don't like doing it unnecessarily.

:slight_smile:
ok

I agree. Still sometimes changing a variable is simply the easiest way to get things done:

1. as a (sort of) counter within an iterative procedure;
  2. to mimic an entity that actually changes in the real world.

And if you are going to change (aka modify) data anyway, why not use a versatile (custom) block to make it happen?

In that situation, it's much better to have the counter variable as part of the loop structure, like the upvar in FOR, rather than some random global and CHANGE BY commands. Upvars are both self-documenting and limited in scope. (I'm not saying you disagree with that. Just saying that you can build iteration structures that don't spill out into the rest of the program.)

I wasn't hinting at FOR. Even so, upvars in FOR actually do spill out of the loop, like in: untitled script pic (29)
You can do this without declaring "ï" anywhere else (in this case, it is reported as: 11, which may be understandable from an implementation ~, but not from a user perspective). See recent forum discussion: Script variables and upvars: make 'm local

What I meant to say was in other iterative constructs, like REPEAT UNTIL (which is sometimes preferable over FOR), it often makes sense to use and update a "counter" variable.

No, I didn't think you meant FOR. I was pointing to FOR as an example of iteration done right, in which the iteration variable is visibly part of the iteration, not some random global variable pressed into service.

The upvar is treated as a Script Variable. It's true that it survives the end of the loop, but only within the current script. In particular, you can have two FOR loops in two different blocks, with one calling the other, without clobbering each other's variable, even if they're both called I.

If it were up to me, the iteration variable would disappear once the loop is finished. But Jens keeps finding uses for the current behavior that make it easier to write projects.

why did i get a notification for this?

because they linked one of your posts.

oh