How to publish a project over 10 MB?

I know the cloud storage limit is 10 MB. I currently have a project over this limit that I've been saving to my computer, but it's important for me that I have an easy way of sharing this project with a large audience without having to directly send them the file. This is because I plan to make periodic updates to the project and that would make it so I have to re-send a new file to people every time I update it. Is there currently a working workaround to the 10 MB limit if I want to publish my project? For example, is there a way I can somehow save my project on Google Drive and create a link to it? If so, can someone explain how to do it in detail? Thanks!

Testing if it works

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HHxTZx3qlCyaFsLib9xPrKQf1wqqQBIQ/view?usp=sharing

Answer = no :frowning:

People could download the xml file and import it though

Catch 22 - there can't be a Snap! url for it if its not uploaded to the cloud servers :frowning:

Thinking OOTB - you could create your own Snap! install on your own cloud server and auto-serve your file

Not tried this and obviously a lot of effort to goto just to see if it would work

Yikes. Thank you for the answers. It just makes me wonder why there must be a 10 MB limit per project when it seems like a better idea to a have a total MB limit per user instead.

I imagine its much easier to have a simple file limit than to keep track of total user space used

Wait, that can't be right, can it? Maybe Drive has a CORS restriction? Or you didn't set the permission right? Let me try...

Nope, I can't do it either. Snap! Build Your Own Blocks[project URL] should work but not from drive.
Doesn't work from my Berkeley web server either... will investigate.

Is there a url format to allow the main Snap! servers to load a file from a non-Berkeley domain?

Aah - well now I know the url syntax, I tried a dropbox link but that doesn't work either

Github ones do, so I imagine its just Google/Dropbox not wanting to provide direct links to raw files

Simplest solution is to fork snap, add the file to the same domain name, and use #open:

Can you kindly elaborate how to do that? Thanks!

Yes it's what I said: snap.berkeley.edu/run#open:[project URL]

It does work from my Berkeley server after all but not from Drive or Dropbox. Looking into other public storage possibilities.

Oh well there you go, make a repo on github that has the one file in it!

or you can make a repo that has all your snap projects that are over 10 MB.

I apologize again for my ignorance, but I have no idea how to make a Github repo and generate a link to insert. I understand the logic, but I'm completely new to this so would greatly appreciate if someone could be willing to write a step by step instruction on how to do this. Thanks very much.

Sigh.

Jeez, you're as impatient as the children!

It's kind of a pain to explain because there are a lot of steps.

1. Go to github.com and create an account.

2. Download Github Desktop from there to your computer, and install it however your OS installs software.

3. Open Github Desktop's preferences and teach it your Github login and password.

4. Now, in Github Desktop (hereafter GD)'s File menu, choose "New repository." Give your repo a name and decide, or let GD decide, where on your computer to put the repo. Publish your repo. (GD will walk you through that.) Remember where it lives on your computer.

5. Drag files, such as your 10Mb project file, into the repo.

6. Find the "Changes" tab on the left in GD. Click it.

7. The files you dragged in should be there. Down near the bottom, put a one-line title for this set of files. Since nobody else is contributing to this repo, the reason doesn't have to be sensible. Once you have that done, GD will let you Push your changes to the repo.

8. Your project is now available for all the world to see! You just have to tell them your Github username (not your password of course) and the repo's name.

If any of these turns out to be too terse, ask again.

That was a truly great help. Take my sincerest apologies for assuming nobody would respond. In my experience on many different online forums, a question gone unanswered for 24 hours is never a good sign and newcomers with "newbie" question tend to be especially unwelcome. I'm so glad to see that this wasn't the case here. Again, thank you. I believe I've figured it out for now.

You're welcome! Come back if you have a problem.

can't you just make a repo without using github desktop?