Help me make a tile scrolling game!

I need some help. I'm creating a tile scrolling game. I asked ChatGPT how to make one, but it said the script includes 'set [stage width v] to [your width]' and 'set [stage height v] to [your height]' but those blocks don't exist. So can you help me make one? It will be appericated.

Try griffpatch's tutorial on YT! (It's for Scratch, but it should work in Snap!.)

I did that, but when I was trying to add hilly terrain generation, the terrain generation just messed up.

Can you share the project? (If you need help, go to this forum post.)

I haven't made the project.

Sorry it took me a while to get to this. If you load the "getters and setters" library, you can use

to make the stage 400 pixels wide by 300 pixels tall.

But to use that library you have to turn on the "Javascript extensions" setting in the :gear: settings menu, each time you load the project. Sorry.

Deleted quote
Didn't Jens decide that that library shouldn't be used anymore?
Deleted quote
Or was that just a temporary thing?

"Users can control what's going on in the stage. That's their space. The Snap IDE isn't."
My bad.

Read the rest of the discussion you linked.

Or you could not do that, and instead click the gear icon > stage size to manually enter the stage size. I have a feeling chatgpt was not changing the stage size after the initial setup.

Jens hates it. I love it. It's one of our longstanding disagreements. He's right that major changes to Snap! sometimes break pieces of the library, so it takes constant maintenance, unlike most libraries, which just work forever. And we don't want to get bug reports that turn out to be users breaking something using it. The fact that, unlike all the other libraries, it requires you to check the JS Extensions block every time you load a project that uses it is the compromise we came up with; it means you know you're doing something risky. But, as with most compromises, neither of us exactly loves it.

I'm a big believer in Eisenberg's Law: Anything you can do from the GUI you should be able to do programmatically in the extension language, and vice versa. Jens not only doesn't believe it, he doesn't even believe I'm right to attribute it to Mike Eisenberg. You decide:

SchemePaint.pdf (1.1 MB)
SchemeChart.pdf (829.6 KB)

I just made the connection with regular IDEs, like vscode, notepad++, and vim, where users can create an extension or plugin that can interact with the gui. I'm not entirely sure what the capabilities with vscode extensions are, but I know notepad++ has a ton of freedom, as those plugins are made in c++. I have a feeling you can interact with the vscode gui like any other web app, as extensions are written in javascript, and the whole program is created with node.js, probably packaged with electron.

What I'm trying to say is, most programming IDEs implement some kind of Eisenberg's Law, so why can't snap?

There's one that doesn't need JS, which is:

Ah, right, thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.