Copyright…

I’ve always wondered this… for Snap! and Scratch; if someone was to upload copyrighted music (stolen) and post it and the producers found out, would Snap! (or Scratch) be in legal trouble?

(No I have no intention of doing this it is a legitimate question I have)

If we are notified by a copyright holder that someone has published a project with their music without permission, we are legally required to take down (unpublish) the project, but provided we do that, we are explicitly safe from a lawsuit, according to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The copyright holder has to take the initiative; we are not required to monitor all projects our users publish. Look for "DMCA" in that forest of links at the bottom of the start page for more details.

That's in the US. I'm not sure about laws elsewhere.

All this applies only to published projects; you can use any music you want in private projects. IANAL, but I believe that for projects that you share but don't publish, you're the one doing the distributing, not us, so if anyone's in trouble it's you. If you share a project and post the URL on the forum, then we're in DMCA territory.

P.S. It's spelled "copyright," as in the right to make copies of something.

"copy right"
:~)
because I thought that you meant the cut and paste blocks and using the cut blocks to cut a write block generated pen trails

I always have used “copywrite” I don’t know why even though it’s wrong.

So they could send a DMCA strike to you who would then forward it to the person?

No, we are responsible for responding to DMCA takedown notices by unpublishing the project. If we were Facebook or Twitter we probably wouldn't even tell you we had done so, although you can appeal a takedown once you find out about it.

So far, knock on wood, we haven't had any. We're too small for anyone to bother with. Scratch does get a few.

Alright.

There are a lot of pirated software.If you really really reallllly want to care about copy right,care about that first.The authors will not have time to pick your copywrong and tell bh in most of cases.
(you cannot get a lawsuit this way bc bh will unpublish or delete your project before the authors get supra dupra angry)

Actually, copywriting is a thing- albeit unrelated to the concept of copyright, as in trademark or whatever. Copywriting is the occupation where you write text for ads and other marketing forms.

(Summarized from Wikipedia.)

It's not a question of how angry they get. If we get an official DMCA complaint we are legally required to act on it, and we will (by unpublishing, not by deleting).

oh ok

cant tell if thats good or bad

Good point.

Not having any DMCA complaints is good.

true

Is it okay if you give credit to the original creator including all the details like:

• Album
  • Album release date
  • Band name
  • Publisher
  • Ecetera

Not unless it has a license that prevents you from making any copies or modifications.

*Etcetera

But what if we don’t have any.. but people are using stolen stuff.

I don't think that makes it okay, but if your work is considered 'transformative' enough under the law, then it can be considered to not infringe on copyright. (I'm not a lawyer so I'm not entirely sure.)

Nope. You need permission.

In at least some European countries they divide rights into copyright, which has to do with the right to make copies, and "moral right," which is the right to be credited as author, the right to insist that modifications of your work be clearly labelled as such, and so on. You can, and authors routinely do, sell the copyright in a work to the publisher, but you can't sell the moral rights. Those are attached to the actual author for life, and then to the author's literary custodian (as specified in a contract signed before death (obviously)).