Convert Scratch 3 projects to Snap!

Yay! Thanks.

Great! I will be trying it soon.

Excellent work :slight_smile:

Minor issue - costume isn't set to draggable after importing

Because it automatically writes this, I guess:
<sprite draggable="false"

+

Unfortunately, it lets you convert Bingo projects(.bingo files), too! But the code is wrong when converted to Snap! .

Scratch's draggable setting works slightly differently than Snap!'s.

In Scratch, sprites are always draggable in the editor, and the draggable setting only affects if you can drag a sprite in player mode. Scratch sets draggable to false by default.

In Snap!, the draggable setting affects if you can drag a sprite in the editor as well, and it is true by default.

Fair enough :slight_smile:

Not planning to fix the problems with Bingo projects. If it has the Scratch 1.4 magic number "ScratchV02" at the beginning of the file, it's going to be treated as a Scratch 1.4 project regardless whether it actually is. I don't think Bingo got enough use to make adding support for its blocks worth it.

Okay, I need opinions. Scratch sounds are stored in the non-standard ADPCM WAV format. Since the format is non-standard, Scratch sounds cause all sorts of wacky problems when you try to directly play them with a browser's audio engine, like Snap! does. Scratch, phosphorus, etc. deal with this by decoding ADPCM themselves, but there's little reason for Snap! to do this considering how rare the files are.

The best solution would be for Snapinator to re-encode Scratch sounds to a standard format, and there are 3 main candidates:

• Ogg Vorbis. This is an open format, and my personal favorite, but it isn't supported by Safari.
  • MP3. This has the best browser support, but it's not an open format. Mostly patent-unencumbered nowadays, but I'm still not a fan of it.
  • Regular non-ADPCM WAV. This has good browser support, but it's just a container for uncompressed audio, so it's going to be larger. It's probably a waste since ADPCM audio is heavily compressed, and there won't be any benefit from the larger file size. Snap! already has problems handling large projects, so I'd rather not balloon file sizes any more than what's necessary.

So basically the question comes down to supporting open standards vs. better browser support. Thoughts?

MP3. The mp3 format is super well known and understood and at this point is not covered by patents. :slight_smile:

I agree, even though I like open standards, and I personally would be willing to suffer the consequences of not being able to run converted Scratch projects in Safari, I don't want to impose my political views on our users. (As opposed to our extension developers; I'm totally happy to impose GPL on them! They're only adults.)

Snapinator 3.0 is now "officially" released at https://snapinator.github.io/!

It's still missing a few things like watcher conversion and sound re-encoding (going to go with MP3 for that) but it's mostly in working order.

Could the link to Snapin8r2 in the Snap! footer be updated to Snapinator at https://snapinator.github.io/ please?

That's very good

I made a PR. Waiting for the management to pull it. :~)

uh oh i think ur post got flagged for "robot" stuff again

Woa, you can embed the editor?

You can embed any web page in another web page.

bh has already replied. :blush:

Fixed it, but erased some words.