Art & Music: Module 3

Here is the third module in the spring Art & Music course:

https://www.maketolearn.org/creating-colorful-patterns/

This module explores creation of art in the style of Jackson Pollock. Pollock was an American painter in the abstract expressionist movement. He was known for his paint pouring technique that left his canvas covered with paint in a uniquely nontraditional way. Creating these whimsical and colorful projects in Snap! can be reminiscent of the vibrant paint work done by Pollock.

If you wish to explore creation of art in this style, and post a link to your project in this strand, we'll create a coffee cup using your art if you like and mail it to you. We'll look forward to seeing your artistic creations.

Snap! 6.5.2 Build Your Own Blocks (berkeley.edu)
Sorry I didn't do Module 1 or 2, but do you like this?

EDITED MY PROJECT: Now it looks better.

Where are these triangles coming from?

Looks great! I like the variation you've included. I'm the manager of the Make to Learn lab at the University of Virginia, where this course is being designed. Did you want this turned into a coffee mug? If so, just send me an email at wattsj@virginia.edu.

Very nice. And very nice video.

You could combine your Pollack-like image generator with this project that learns how people rate the generated images. It can then guess how one would rate a new randomly generated image or show you what it thinks might be the best image out of hundreds evaluated.

Click the ? button for help.

Where is it?
Oh, part of this is blocked:

EDIT:
THIS PROJECT IS DRAWING RANDOM TRIANGLES IN EVERY PROJECT I NOW GO ON TO!
Is this your fault or are you also afflicted by this bug?

Not sure why part of the stage is clipped. When I launch it I see

Not sure why your projects would be drawing random triangles. Sorry.

Here is my Jackson Pollock inspired art.

I created lines and dots of different transparency and brightness in random spots on the stage.

I like it!
Like Jackson Pollock, but more ephemeral.

Here's my Pollock inspired artwork:

I created this piece by setting the pen hue to a random number between 54 and 87 so I could work with specific colors. I then changed the size and transparency of the pen using sliders and variables to create different lines and dots.

Here is my Jackson Pollock inspired Snap painting. https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=vinhdo&ProjectName=Jackson%20Pollock

I made it by restricting the color hue from 20 - 61 and varying the length and thickness of each mark. I made it to resemble paper cups that I remember from my childhood because I thought it would be funny to put a similar design on a mug.

Here is my Pollock inspired Snap painting:

I began with warmer tones and then shifted to more random colors and different transparencies as I went. I created some larger dots and lines in the middle layers of my painting but came back to the smaller size toward the end. I also played around with setting the color to a random number within different ranges to create the colors I ended up with!

here's my first pollock inspired design :slight_smile:

Essentially I made to costumes and combined them in one panel. For each costume, I set the the parameters of "choose random color" to 4-17, and 17-37 respectively, and gradually change the brightness from 50 to 100 to 200 and to 300 to and pen size from 50 to 40 to 30 to 20 to 10.

Another pollock inspired design :slight_smile:

Here's a slightly more complicated version of my first design. I call it "four seasons" :))

@toontalk @yw7vv We're exploring a possible collaboration with Luke Dahl, a professor of music at the University of Virginia whose interests involve "New interfaces for musical expression & music interaction design, music-related movement & gesture, and music signal processing." As I was exploring the guide to exploring AI extensions in Snap! (that you provided in the link above), it occurred to me that the AI extensions that you have developed could possibly be used to create and control music using gestures. Does that seem plausible?

While there are many ways to explore this perhaps the most straight-forward is to use the Snap! blocks that report 17 body and face positions. Then one can map some of those to different instruments or musical effects. And it can even work with more than one person at a time.

See https://ecraft2learn.github.io/ai/AI-Teacher-Guide/chapter-4.html#pose-detection

Hello, here is my Jackson Pollock inspired painting:

I first set the color to vary randomly between 48 (cyan) and 73 (purple). I then decided to randomize the pen size and transparency for both the dots and lines. Finally, I varied the length of the line to give the painting a more intriguing look.

Hello, this is my Pollock inspired work:

Using dots, lines, and random patterns as my base I decided to play around with positioning and color tones. I think the random aspect of the patterns gives off the intensity that I saw in a lot of Pollock's art.

Hi all, this is my Pollock inspired work:

I started by making dots and lines of various sizes and transparences to make the pollock design a bit more random. I then limited the colors to be warm colors then cold colors and made costumes of each design. Then I stamped them together to contrast the difference in designs. I call the piece Fire and Ice

Hi y'all! This is my Pollok inspired work:

I first created the dots and lines and varied their transparency and pen size so that there would be a variety of shapes that were scattered throughout the piece. For my colors, I wanted to focus on different shades of blues. I chose to make these colors vary in how bright and dark they were. After creating the piece, I made it into a costume and stamped the script, and used the white space as lines. I thought this created an interesting look.

Hello, this is my Pollock inspired work:

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=jewelsimon&ProjectName=Jackson%20Pollock
Stage (3)

For this project, I randomized the transparency; increased brightness and saturation; and randomized pen size for dots and lines. I wanted to use warmer colors so changed the hue of my dots and lines to randomize between 4-11 and 48-55. I decided not to fill up my entire stage with the dots and lines because I wanted to maintain the white space to give my art a light and airy aesthetic.