Art & Music: Module 3 (Fall 2023)

Here's a link to the third module, Colorful Patterns: Creating Art in the Style of Pollock:

https://maketolearn.org/creating-art-animations-and-music/creating-colorful-patterns/

Create art in the style of the artist Jackson Pollock in this module.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=aananda&ProjectName=EDIS%3A%20Week%204%20Assignment

Some Pollock style images reminded me of confetti, so I wanted to make a pastel version with brighter and lighter colors which kinda unintentionally made it look like a birthday decoration, Pollock style.

Since streaks and paint splatter is often found in Pollock paintings, I made the streaks the background layer that the dots and confetti could layer on top of. To do that, I put the streaks function first, and I made it lighter in transparency compared to the dots and confetti.

Module 3

I was really inspired by Jackson Pollock's Convergence, where it seems like he started out with a lot of black splatters and then added color on top. In order to mimic this method of painting, I started out with a brightness of 0, and then continuously moved the brightness up as I added additional layers of dots and lines. I also increased the transparency as I added layers, so that the brightness of the final layers was dulled a little. This also gives the effect of being able to see through some of the paint layers, which I think represents Jackson Pollock's work well.

In addition to all this, I also added the ability to change how many paint layers you want, and I had the dots and lines scale with this in order to fill up the whole stage.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=hcz3yb&ProjectName=Pollock%20Piece

I utilized medium-small dots and lines (with differing lengths and thickness) with randomized variables constrained in certain ranges to keep a cohesive look. Pollock's compositions have an ordered sense of randomization so coding it a similar way feels ideal. I looked at the opacity of the paints he uses, they appear rather opaque so I did not change the opacity. Pollock usually uses frequently seen colors like medium shades of primary colors or blacks and white, so I wanted to put a spin on it. I chose a color scheme that resembles cotton candy to give a new feeling to his style. I also added a new type of splatter, a sort of flower splatter to give an interesting form to look at while keeping the randomized look.

I love the usage of the tapered paint streaks! It's very interesting and makes each line stand out. A suggestion I'd make is the confetti having a little more range in width and length would really help bring together the Pollock look.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=dojaelyn&ProjectName=Pollock
I wanted to make something that was fun, so the confetti is a little curved, and I add tails to smaller dots to try to emulate the effect of paint running. I didn't want to put that many dots or that many lines of confetti because I think having a prominent white background makes the whole piece feel lighter and more fun.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=yoonphoebe&ProjectName=pollock%20project

A lot of Jackson Pollock's works have a chaotic and filled background with contrasting elements layered on top. I tried to emulate that by using both the dots and confetti in a random formula and also layering the semi transparent streaks on top to add some depth.

I just wanted to create an abstract picture with blues and reds that somewhat resembles the randomness and simplicity of a Pollock. I used the confetti style markings that we saw in class to make the background, while I let a random operator create the scribbles in the foreground. The red dots also adds a little bit of contrasting color for the blues.

My goal was to incorporate the polka dot command we learned in class and put a little spin on it, while also incorporating a shape I think is so fun to make: stars! I began by creating the code of making a star and then using the 'go to random position' command we learned in class to scatter them around the canvas. At first, I was going to use a specific color pattern for the stars, but after some experimenting, I decided to make them only yellow because it looked odd to me otherwise. Then, I used the polka dot command we used in class along with the 'go to random position' block to scatter them around. I incorporated a random pen size to add some dimension, and also incorporated random colors to make it colorful. I also left it up to the user to decide how many polka dots and how many stars they wanted. Over this upcoming week, I want to incorporate the list structure to pick certain colors for a new shape/pattern, because I couldn't remember how to do this even though we went through it in class.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=shreyanaga&ProjectName=Colorful%20Pattern

I really wanted to use a sunset color pallette in order to make a cohesive scene that still incorporates randomness. I actually incremented the hue by five each time to get the shades of pink in a nice gradient.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=larinayu&ProjectName=jackson%20pollock%20-%20incremental

I really liked the idea of playing around with different "layers" of splatters, so I tried to build in an incremental way to show the addition of colors on top of each other by using warp and wait commands. I tried to make sure that the only elements I repeated were small enough that they would add complexity to the overall art piece without overshadowing the background.

I made medium and large dots for the background, and repeatedly drew tiny dots and bigger and smaller slashes on top of this background.

I really love you color scheme! I also love how it's using randomness to mimick something we see in the real world. Also, changing the opacity of the pen added a really cool effect! The only thing I would say is maybe make your custom blocks more similar to english sentences so a random person woul dbe able to understand exactly what it means on first glance.

Just a color scheme of nature, something that depicts the transition from summer to fall!

The background is the highlighting piece of this, great way of using the splatters to compliment it.

Excellent use of custom procedures and parameters. Thanks for including project notes as well. Overall, the project looks great. There are only two changes I might make.

1. The custom Offstage block works for the purposes of removing the sprite from the final canvas. If you want to do this without creating a custom block, you can use the Hide command, found under the Looks palette. The Show block will bring the sprite back.

2. You might consider changing the names of the parameters in the Set Pen Color Random block. In most instances, using "X" and "Y" wouldn't be a big deal. However, since Snap! incorporates a stage with an x,y coordinate system, users familiar with the platform will automatically assume any labeled with those letters pertains to sprite position on the stage. It might be less confusing if you use different letters, integers (i.e. 1 and 2), etc...

Great Project!

I really liked the way that you chose to layer the smaller splatters on top, and that you made a short delay in between to emphasize the change! I'm also curious about the warp testing and why it wasn't working at the beginning which isn't as related but just wondering after seeing your comment.

I love the color scheme! The flowers and lines almost make me feel like I'm peering into a cotton-candy forest. I only wish it was easier to see the difference between the dots, lines, and flowers by the end. One idea you could consider is having the brightness or saturation change in between each layer so that it's more obvious which parts are flowers – I think it could really make them stand out.

I really enjoy this project, because the final product looks great but its also very satisfying to watch the code run. I think it was very smart how to incorporated brightness effects to make the top most layers stand out on top of the base layers. Great job

This looks great. I like how it builds in layers with a delay between each so that we can see the actual progression. Having everything scale off of the number of layers is a nice touch, and the program notes are well developed. Two very minor changes. Including the Set Minimum Size Index block in the for loop doesn't necessarily hurt, but since it isn't strictly necessary to reset the value in each loop, it can be moved above the loop. Also, I might use a more meaningful variable name for the color list. Naming a list variable "list" might be easy to follow when you only have one or two variables/lists, but it gets exponentially more difficult to keep variables/lists straight as more are added.