Art & Music: Exploring Color (Spring 2024)

Here's a link to the second module, Exploring Color: Creating Art in the Style of Rothko:

https://maketolearn.org/creating-art-animations-and-music/exploring-color/

Work out a design that appeals to you by initially placing blocks by hand (as demonstrated in the video for this module). Then automate the process with a script.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=rjha11054%40gmail.com&ProjectName=Rothko
I created a design that overlays two patterns. I will be working on adding more complexity to the design over the course of the week. However, my original desire was to create something colorful that catches the eye. I also wanted to maintain a somewhat symmetrical pattern that is visually appealing but not too basic.

From the original idea, I tweaked my color scheme and stamping method to align it closer to an actual Rothko painting. This design was a result was fueled by experimentation. I also renamed some of my costume names to make them more representative.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=gmtsuh&ProjectName=Assignment%203%20-%20Dawn%20Over%20a%20Wine-Colored%20Sea

I was working with colors to create a scene reminiscent of a sunrise over the sea, using simple horizontal bars, which I noticed as a consistent part of Rothko's work (at least from a quick Google Images search). I used the costume-creation and stamp method we went over in class and am in the process of automating the drawing part. (It's a work in progress, so for now the artwork should be viewed "as is" without clicking on any code blocks.)

So far, I have made a custom command block (Stamp Row), which uses a repeat structure to stamp the current costume across the stage. I intend to use this in a larger command block that will also switch between the costumes and move the turtle up/down the stage, as if "printing" out the art. This does vary from the reading's method, which seems to make an entire stamp of the desired size first, position it accordingly, make duplicates if necessary, and stamp once.

Snap! 3 exploring color (berkeley.edu)

Previous: I wanted to create something representative with this piece. While the design is certainly simplistic, I wanted to add a bit of variation via the shades, something I'm going to explore more when we program these, since creating different color variations and randomly placing them is very tedious by hand.

Current: Something that I struggle with in my art is making straight lines, which is something I wanted to emulate in this. I also wanted to show how I struggle with getting consistent colors. So I make constant use of the "pick random" block, both in picking colors and positions.

I'm not a fan of how Snap uses 1-100 for pen hue, so in my Solid Bar function, I use a custom function that takes a "native" H in HSB and converts it to Snap!'s scale. So when I want to use a color, it's defined as a list of HSB values.

[Snap! Build Your Own Blocks]
I have created a simple pattern using two distinct shapes. Rather than arranging them horizontally or vertically, I rotated the shapes by 225 degrees. I plan to enhance the design by adding more complexity to the shapes in this week.

updated: I changed most of my work and decided to use colorful blocks to build an image that looks like a forest.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=hxyhxyhxy&ProjectName=Assignment%203

Thinking about blocks and lines reminds me of pedestrian intersections, so I am inspired to use thin vertical and horizontal blocks. I made it simple and only three colors: black, red, and beige and overlaid different colors and sizes of blocks to create my artwork.

Update: I removed unnecessary asymmetrical bars, and used code to make each bar color replicate the same patterns across the background.

I was inspired by Tetris so I decided to created color blocks. Thus, I created the design by creating a block that I can customize the size of solid bar. By using the block, I create the 30x30 squares with different colors and add them up.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=kidusfasil&ProjectName=Art%20Project%202

I created a Rothko style image by drawing columns that slightly changed colors, then drew black and white stripes overlapping these columns, drawing yellow blocks in between the black and white stripes, and drawing two thin purple rows on the top and bottom of the stage. This was down by changing the pen size and hue depending on what I was drawing. I also moved a certain length and changed the x and/or y position a repeated number of times

1/29/24 - Rothko
I wanted to push myself to see how close to Rothko's work I could get while still being generative. Though I was unable to match the wispiness of his style, I feel that the colors, composition and shapes of the generated art generally match the style of Rothko.
One of the biggest things I still would like to do is to ensure that the colors generated are less random and make stunning pieces more of time.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=herrrren&ProjectName=Rothko
I wanted to make a night sky background and put a few black bars on it. Now looking at my product, I plan to reorganize the blocks that are in front or possibly just keep the "night sky" by itself. Then I will move on to reproducing it with a script.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=sildaneza&ProjectName=AssignmentThree

Initial: For my design I wanted to create something a bit more structured while still maintaining some of Rothko's abstractness. This in turn led to the beginning of my sunset sky and field which I used by creating symmetrical lines that changed in thickness and length depending on the number of times it has been repeated. I plan on adding more layered lines over the ones that already exist, resembling very abstract trees but thought this would be an interesting take on things.

Updated: For my updated design I kept all the main components the same as I loved the way the sunset had turned out but wanted to add more depth to the sky. I added different horizontal lines across the background to represent a sunsets sky with changing colors. I attempted the trees but didn't like how they turned out so decided to get rid of them and opt for a simpler design that was more similar to Rothko's abstract patterns.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=evc2bds&ProjectName=Week%203%20Assignment

I wanted the colors in my design to blur into each other similar to how some of the colors in Rothko’s pieces fade into each other. To do this, I gradually changed the transparency of the color by 2 every few steps in drawing the line. I then created costumes with these pen trails and stamped them onto the background into the design that I wanted. I was aiming to use colors that are similar to a sunset and to ensure that there are not very sharp lines between the different colors.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=darrenamona&ProjectName=Rothco%20Bars&editMode&noRun

I wanted to try using the Rothco process to create something that isn't really as abstract. My goal for this project was to try to use blocks as effectively as possible so there are no excess tasks. This project was more math-heavy than it was program process-heavy.

I really liked the color scheme you chose. You could try renaming the costumes to add more distinct characteristics, possibly including their general location on screen or their width. Other than that it looks really cool.

The color scheme for this project is very harmonious. Also, the pedestrian theme presents an intriguing aspect. For the code, I think it may be beneficial to consolidate it, removing any unnecessary parts as you go.

I absolutely adore how you make use of the pen transparency to make a smooth gradient in several places. However, it looks like a lot of the code you use between these blocks is very similar, so I wonder if it's possible for you to create a general "Fade" block with several parameters.

I love the vibrant colors you selected for your art. You did a great job stamping all 35 pieces by hand. I think for the coding part, you might want to use "repeat" and "change x/y by" so your costumes connect more evenly.

I wanted to create art mimicking (to my best ability) a monet type painting. How I did this is by first creating a hazy and pastel background using hues of green, blue, and pink, and essentially muddling the lines by layering different colors with higher transparency over. You can make out a body of water at the bottom, and then a lighter green color as the environment above. I then used the block shapes for lillypads floating on the water with flowers growing on top of them.

This looks really cool! The piano keys look good and are clearly recognizable.

The only things I spotted that might be a bit confusing are the "item" and "i" variables in your custom blocks. I'm used to seeing i and item (or other counters like them), but I know that we emphasize easily readable names in this class (such as "piano key" or "key" instead of "item"). Just something to think about! Also, there's a third addend in the x coordinate of the Make Black Pieces block. Not sure if this is intentional.

Update:
My art is now automated. The green flag can be clicked without issue.

I altered my Stamp Row block to stamp across a set number of times due to issues with stage sensing. I used this block in a larger block which sets the stamp at the right height and changes the stamp costumes appropriately.