Art & Music: Capstone (Fall 2023)

For my capstone project, I will do a part 2 to my game adding background music and adding more animations.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=amb8es&ProjectName=rough%20draft%20game&editMode&noRun

For my final project, I chose to continue and further advance my game. First, I programmed the spiderman theme song melody using the same technique we used to create a full motif. This took me the majority of the time because I could not figure out how to make it play and repeat on time and without overlapping. It also took awhile to figure out how to end it on time when the game ends (a little buggy still). I also added a sound effect for when spiderman dies. I updated the title screen to make it more professional looking, and I also included a small instructions page to clear up any confusion for someone playing for the first time. Finally, I cleaned up some little bugs I had in my original version to make everything smoother. I added a ton of notes throughout each sprite to keep myself aware of the function of each section.

I absolutely love this project. I can only imagine how long this took! The amount of effort you put into the animations is amazing! I'm definitely going to be coming back to this project for good vibes. Great song choice as well.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/907887322/

My capstone project is a bit strange as I coded most of it on Scratch instead of Snap. I found that the art tools available in Scratch fit the pixel scaling that work better there than in Snap, as well as general audio engine tweaks. I made this based off of a friend of mine's art assets for a similar game and ran with it.

The main premise of this project is to create a world using a tileset. You start with 25 of each tile and cannot redo placement but can place over existing tiles. The point of this project overall is to give players sandbox tools to make basic worldsets. In the future, I plan to expand this project outside of Scratch to include more tiles, ambience, a larger scalable map, terrain generation, and substructures within each tile. Right now, I need to remake a lot of the assets as they are not perfect squares and add placement sound effects for the other tiles.

This is really cool, the new animations are really fun. The style here is amazing too, the lizalfos are definitely my favorite visuals-wise. Part of the struggle for me is having to walk away to turn around and hit something following me so I don't take damage. Maybe a system where you can use the arrow keys for sword direction and WASD for movement direction? Or maybe that's part of the game's difficulty and it'd get too easy without it?

For my final, I expanded on my game and added music and more game-like features to my orignial. I didn't have music before or the images for play again, game over, and you win, so I thought these would be nice to incorporate to make it a looped game. I think it's a fun way to pass time and reminds me a lot of the original since it's based on it completely!

I really liked how easy to use the entire project was. It was very intuitive and cool to have such an interactive element other than just using keys.

For my capstone project I am interested in making a game inspired by fruit ninja. Fruit ninja is a complex game, though, because it keeps track of so many different things so to simplify it I thought of a game inspired by Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. In this game there is a character on the ground and different food starts falling from the sky and the player has to avoid it. The food falls at a faster pace as time goes on so eventually it basically becomes impossible to keep playing since the player will get hit by food. Snap! Build Your Own Blocks

I really like this game! It reminds me of the games I would play in elementary school because it is simple but you want to keep playing. One comment I have is that the game starts super quickly, so maybe having a start game button or something like that to give the user time to understand the rules and then begin playing.