Why doesn't snapp work

Ideally, before I went and made my own software I'd create a library for snap that showed how I did it, but I can't do that because I'm the only one that knows what I want and can't implement any of it.

So I was trying to think of an example as to where I get lost, and I figure the top example from CSLS Vol 1 Chapter 3 might be a good example.

It's about moving variables between scope, ie, Top calls two variables, bottom calls two as well, but one of them is from top.

Now, Snap has this, it's call? (I'm probably wrong) Ie, I create two blocks, and I tell bottom to call the variable of top. Which should be easy... right, except because logo is text and snap is not, and I get lost in the weeds because I'm busy editing ground that isn't even covered in the original example. As I said, I think I know what I need to do, but every time I build it, I focus too much on the graphics.

Which is why, while the keyboard editor is fine, I need a discrete tech window so I can paste that text in, specifiy "this is logo" and it'll blockify it and I can run stepping on the blocks and the text simultaneously and it'll print it on the stage.

Now, the thing is... A lot of the CS experts I know tell me that's complex and that that adds so many additional steps...

My theory is based on the idea that is absolutely wrong and that block languages are a paradigm shift that nobody saw coming... but all I do is complain on the forums and annoy everyone, including myself, because I can visualise what I want and why, but not explain or DO it.

What does CSLS stand for? And (if CSLS is not publicly available on the internet) what is the example like?

maybe someone who knows JavaScript
perhaps @hyposyn
could take the source code of snapp and update it
and if that can't be done they could recreate it from the ground up

Computer Science Logo Style by BH I think...

:white_check_mark:

what? i dont get it

Yes. I picked it because it was written by the Brian Harvey that lurks these very forums... but I forgot to explain that. Sorry. Yes, it's on Brian Harveys website and I downloaded the PDF's years ago.

Computer Science Logo Style vol 1 ch 3: Variables but this is the chapter I was referring to.

When I did that book years ago, I downloaded logo and did most of the book in logo, but what I wanted to do was then do the book in Snap! but got lost in the weeds.

i still dont know what that paper is

It's a textbook that Brian Harvey wrote for an old programming language called logo in the early eighties.

https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~bh/

This is the base home page and if you scroll down you'll find he references these books. (Brian, if you want me to delete these links to your homepage for whatever reason, let me know)

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

IIt's really hard to follow your mind :wink: But it looks like you want some kind of cross-compiler that parses the Logo or C++ code to create Snap! blocks. But why? Most modern programming IDEs offers syntax highlighting, code folding, variable and types references (clickable) to make program easily readable. Aren't your questions typical symptoms of the XY problem?

There are rumors about "low code"/ "no code" platforms :link:

Low-code or no-code are methods of designing and developing apps using intuitive drag and drop tools that reduce or eliminate the need for traditional developers who write code.

It's really hard to follow your mind :wink: But it looks like you want some kind of cross-compiler that parses the Logo or C++ code to create Snap! blocks. But why? Most modern programming IDEs offers syntax highlighting, code folding, variable and types references (clickable) to make program easily readable. Aren't your questions typical symptoms of the XY problem?

Yes. I'm aware of that. It's hard for me to follow too, and it's MY mind lol.

I used a couple "standard" IDE's and I hated them because they make too many assumptions. Way too many assumptions and are basically making the incorrect assumption that they're useful and or correct.

They're not. They just are not.

Also, I don't want no code/low code platforms either, because those are haring off in the same direction, the "trust us, we know what we're doing and you don't need to know what we're doing, trust us and enjoy the magic show" sleight of hand con-job.

I mean, you used an emoji, and [scratchblocks] This (Exists) [/scratchblocks]

A lot of people are RIGHT there. They're this close to getting what's going on... but close enough doesn't matter when you need the bullseye to win the game.

And I'm "selfish" because I kind of want to be the person who does it first. For personal reasons. I probably shouldn't, but it is what it is.

No, that's fine!

I know JS (not a lot, though...)