Why do some projects say "Hmm... a custom block definition is missing"

Sometimes when I open a project it says "Hmm... a custom block definition is missing", but then when I press see code its still there and i find undefined blocks!
Why?

Screenshot 2023-05-24 124755
btw its not on my projects only on some projects like Node Editor

You might be on a previous version of snap. It should be 8.2.3. You can check by looking at the title of the snap editor tab.

If you are on a previous version of snap, then you need to hard refresh. Hold shift + click the reload button. Sometimes that doesn't work in chrome, and in that case, you'll need to follow these steps.

1. Press ctrl (cmd) + shift + i
  2. Right-click the reload button. A menu should pop up
  3. Select "Empty Cache and Hard Reload"

ahhh im on 8.0.0

but how do i update snap? (im on the browser version)
EDIT nvm i just read that end of the post

You need to hard refresh. Hold shift + click the reload button. Sometimes that doesn't work in chrome, and in that case, you'll need to follow these steps.

1. Press ctrl (cmd) + shift + i
  2. Right-click the reload button. A menu should pop up
  3. Select "Empty Cache and Hard Reload"

thx man

btw u can also use F12 to open ctrl shift i

Yeah, you can use F12, ctrl + shift + j, and probably other shortcuts.

Because well

A custom block definition is missing

lol

hmmmm it only works in the code editor... and i have to hard refresh every time it opens...

It’s not ment to be a joke, legitimately the definition for a custom block got corrupted causing it to no longer exist when it is expected to be

oh

It is a joke, because the broken custom block is just a primitive block that was changed.

Well in that case, you need to manually clear the cache in the browser settings

Instructions for chrome (copied from the google support page)
  1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More More|Autox18.
  3. Click More tools > Clear browsing data.
  4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
  5. Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
  6. Click Clear data.

Therefore corrupting the block definition

but im on edge (browser)

Edge uses chrome, so it should be similar (if not, then you can probably just google it).

Edit: here it is View and delete browser history in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Support

And you want to clear the cached images and files, it doesn't really matter for any other data.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.