Watcher-related things

1. If I make a watcher on the stage for a local variable (i.e. a "script variables" variable) by doing "show variable" on it, then once the script ends there's no obvious way to hide the watcher (ideally, right-clicking should have a "hide" option in the context menu). Running the script again creates a new watcher. Am I missing something? If not, then I think this is a 'bug".

2. This is just a question: Is there a way to export the contents of a variable from the watcher? Ideally, I'd right-click on the watcher and there'd be an "export…" option that initiates a download.

There already is an export option which can be used by right clicking the watcher if I am understanding your question correctly.

Hmm, I don't see it… image

Weird.

If you run HIDE VARIABLE with an empty input slot, it'll remove all watchers of temporary variables.

I agree that that isn't very discoverable, and a HIDE option in the context menu is probably a good idea.

I don't know why you're not getting an export option. Oh, maybe because in your list is a non-text-like sprite or costume? I guess only lists of [lists of...] text and numbers are exportable. You learn something every day.

If you run HIDE VARIABLE with an empty input slot, it'll remove all watchers of temporary variables. … I agree that that isn't very discoverable, and a HIDE option in the context menu is probably a good idea.

Thanks Brian. Yes, okay, I guess this is turning into a feature request then. :slight_smile:

I guess only lists of [lists of...] text and numbers are exportable.

Yeah. I was trying to export a list of images to make a GIF. Eventually I gave up and made a screen recording… https://twitter.com/hardmath123/status/1339092020128694272

Honestly, GIF-from-list-of-images should be a built-in feature too! (Or maybe it already is—!) :slight_smile:

No, it's not. But you can argue with Jens about this one; I'm about six deep in arguments already.

You may add frames as costumes then export Sprite XML with embedded images or a single costume as a png image.
Animated GIF's are displayed in the browser but to manipulate its content 3rd party libraries are required.
Such as

Jens won't put third party libraries into Snap! because he worries about software rot, but we can have libraries that use third party JS code, such as the bignum library.