Typesetting dashes and related glyphs

Oh.

The ones you drew were pretty good. One thing I myself don't like about them is that the left and right buttons on mouses aren't usually the same shape as the middle one.

Like the arrow-with-tail pointer?

Ok.

I think you're thinking of things like scroll wheels, or two-button mice with another one kludged in somehow. But the Alto three-button mice, and the Engelbart mice, had three identical buttons.

Sure.

Yes, I am thinking of ones with scroll wheels.

My best guess at the shape of my mouse:

(the smallest button there is the CPI button; it changes the mouse sensitivity.)
(Side view; it's ergonomic)
(why did I just get reminded of a laptop with a tiny mouse thingy in the middle of the keyboard?)

Hmm... I'll have to check it out.

Now how to distinguish left-middle-right with that?

Alto mouse:
alto mouse
Engelbart mouse:
I'm getting a whole bunch of results for this, which only has one button:
engelbart mouse

Interesting. This must be something that changed over time. I'm pretty sure that at the time of the Mother of All Demos you could use the three mouse buttons plus the five chord-keyboard buttons to input a character by its eight-bit ASCII code. (The idea was that moving back and forth between the keyboard and the mouse takes a lot of time, and it's worth doing if you're typing a whole paragraph, but if you're just fixing a typo it's faster to use the mouse to navigate, and use the mouse-and-chord-keyboard to enter the one or two corrected characters.

I wouldn't swear that anyone other than Engelbart himself committed the ASCII codes to muscle memory, though.

I think WWW means the little red track button on ThinkPads.lrt

That's exactly what I was thinking of.

It looks really stupid, but I've used ThinkPads, and it's actually pretty useful and easy to control.

Also that's a kaomoji.

?

link

Huh.

has the tilde-like thing slightly offcenter.

Try U+0303 Combining Tilde.

What's the Unicode of the circle with dot you used?

Arial doesn't have it. Do you know what fonts do have it?

Edit: Nevermind:
⨀

So:
⨀̃
⨀̃
̃⨀
̃⨀

@bubgamer07_bungamer0, @warped_wart_wars Back on the topic?

Might as well have it moved to "Typesetting dashes and related glyphs".

@bh can you move posts 8-20 to Typesetting dashes and related glyphs?

Please and thank you! :slight_smile: