Studygiggle -- viewer for Snap! projects saved on Google Drive

this is actually a really cool project
it just sucks that i can't upload anything because my school district is stupid

The website is not working, I'm close to Ohio. Here is the error:
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 6.58.07 PM

That's weird. I've never run into that error before. Can you provide a link to the file?

make sure your project is shared and has the driveID variable set

I did added it

@pajamaclaws21 i wrote some css for your site to make it look better

body {
    background: #393939;
    color: white;
    font-family: helvetica;
    text-align: center;
}

input {
    border-radius: 4px;
    padding: 5px;
    border-style: none;
    background: #666666;
}

input::placeholder {
}

button {
    padding: 5px;
    border-radius: 4px;
    background: #666666;
    border-style: none;
}

a {
    color: #66b3ff;
}

Awesome, I'll look at it. Maybe make a pull request?

Long Post #1: plans and stuff
Also, project update! I'm aware it's been a while, I kinda forgot about this. It's very much something I'm still interested in working on, but I don't anticipate being able to for a little bit. I intend to continue updating it, but probably won't be awesome/production ready for a while. I got some feedback via email, so here we are!

My end goal is to have it so a user can simply upload their .XML file to the site, and it will upload the file to their Google Drive. There, it will auto-share the file, and get the file ID. The site will then auto-create a Snap! project that contains the file ID and ask the user for what to title the project, so all an end-user has to do to access the project is simply provide the author's username and desired project name.

That's all a lot to work on, so don't be expecting that for a while. I also want to figure out hosting, because while Render is awesome, I have had quite a few struggles with it. I want to add some better documentation to the project and make the site look better, too, so...

Yeah! Maybe I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew. Maybe that's why it's been dormant for 5 months. But hopefully good things to come :blush:

Long Post #2: "Why are you necroposting? This topic is five months old! Why the hell are you still doing this???"
First, it's my topic, bugger off. (I say this light-heartedly.)
Second and more relevantly, a common complaint I've seen on the Forums that 10mb is too small a file size for projects on Snap!. Which I don't know how I feel about. There are definitely ways to shrink project size, but some projects are just large. But Snap! doesn't have infinite storage, because storage costs money, so they can't and probably shouldn't increase the maximum project size. It kinda creates a challenge, maybe, question mark? To code under the limit? I don't know. But other cloud providers like Google Drive offer giant piles of storage completely free (well, at the cost of both your personal dignity and data), so why not utilize Google Drive? If these tools work, why not use them? The idea and motivation behind this project is exactly that: people should be able to make whatever cool thing they want to make without having to worry about storage space. Also it'd be pretty cool to have people actually use something I made. So there's that too :sweat_smile:. But I don't know if I anticipate people using it at all, and definitely not yet because of how rough it is.

Anyways. Studygiggle is off hiatus, hopefully. Godspeed and good luck to me that I don't burn out on this again. I have confidence I can make it work.

:slight_smile:
That's great!

Necroposting is posting something that does not contribute to a topic that has not had any activity for a while. Your post is an update on your project, which does not make it necroposting. Oh, and there's kind of an unspoken rule that necroposting is ok on a topic you created.

Yeah, I know. That's why I said

:~)

Updates:

So far today I've worked on file upload. There is a button on the site that says "choose file" and then also "upload," and if you upload a text file, it will tell you the contents of the file. I've also added favicons, yay! I've started working on signing in with Google. It's a lot to work on, unfortunately, especially because a lot of the help articles contradict each other.

Done :slight_smile:

Another Update
I have implemented OAuth, I think! You can officially sign in to Studygiggle with Google and I can harvest your personal data. <--- that is a joke, but always always always review the things a site asks you when you log in with Google! Studygiggle asks to be able to upload files to Google Drive and some other things.

This means that uploading files to Google Drive is coming soon!! Yay!

Ur alive!

I am! I haven't posted in a while on anything, but I check in on the Forums pretty much daily, and I also tinker on Snap! regardless of my Forum activity.

Same. I can't really do anything much on Snap because I don't have a Chromebook anymore, but I do have easy access to the forums using my phone

I've been able to test scripts on my phone, but I haven't been able to create full projects.

Ouch! Hard for me to imagine living like that, although I know lots of young people do it, or at least they have a phablet.

:rofl: