Speed execution problem with "remove duplicate from (list)" block

This block is not effective in its current form. If I run it on a large database (53000 records), it will take 8.5 minutes to run!

example

I noticed that inside this block there is an old version of the code present. I performed tests with the old code. Surprise: the same request takes 5.5 seconds!

current block (8.5 minutes)

old code (5.5 seconds)
I notice 1 thing with the old code: if i remove the "warp", 4.5 seconds to execute the code ! (??????? i don't understand...)

Was there a REMOVE DUPLICATES block in BYOB3 tools? If so, the old code is probably that from the BYOB version.

Have a go at writing a quicker one then :slight_smile:

Just thought - make sure you are testing the Snap7 dev version - no point in putting effort into present version

Sometimes, it just makes it more laggy than speedy.

It's worse in version 7: I have to press "wait" every 10 seconds!

I'm not a huge fan of those terribly inefficient library blocks!
Why don't you use the analyze reporter in the "frequency distribution analysis" library to make your own one:

unique items

I've just now tried it on a huge list of 10 Million (!) items and got the result instantly.

Thank's i will give it a try tomorrow...

I've just now updated the official "remove duplicates" reporter in the list library with my solution above. You might have to clear your cache to try it in the current v7 dev version.

Of course, JS code is blasting fast...

But removing duplicates from the sorted list is quite effective with

(it has a flaw - sometimes empty elements are removed)

A little error here... image

data, not my list...

8.5 minutes to 236 ms, good work !

thanks! Sorry for the glitch, I've just now fixed it, make sure to clear your cache so you get the correct version next time you load the list utilities library.

(@d4s_over_dt4, if you're reading: excuse me for necroposting :wink: )

I have an issue with VPW 2023.3 Metrolijnen script pic.
The (very fast) current (Snap! 8.2.3) implementation:
VPW 2023.3 Metrolijnen script pic (1)

... doesn't work for lists containing composite data:
VPW 2023.3 Metrolijnen script pic (2)

... whereas the previous (admittedly, much slower) implementation:
VPW 2023.3 Metrolijnen script pic (3)

... does:
VPW 2023.3 Metrolijnen script pic (4)

I can see why the current implementation is preferable in many cases. On the other hand, both from a pedagogical perspective and whenever lists with composite data are involved, the older implementation is often to be prefered.

Therefore I propose that both implementations - or perhaps a third one, containing both algorithms, and detetermining which is applicable - will be part of the "List utilities" library, including help text explaining the various characteristics.

because i always flag necroposts?

A necropost is posting on a dead topic for no reason. Your post was adding to the conversation, so it wasn't a necropost.

@d4s_over_dt4: congrats, you guessed right!
@ego-lay_atman-bay; thanks for the explanation! If I’ve done my homework right, me posting might actually have been called “necro-bumping”.
Now what do you folks (a/o others) think of my point regarding REMOVE DUPLICATES FROM ?