Snap! Questions

I have a few questions… First was Snap developed using squeak and how?(not a full explanation just like how which libraries and stuff for squeak or something like how do all block programs start technically?) and Second why did you guys use morphic and not node.js because node,js offerers lots of libraries for child_process and others and also why not use browserify to bundle it and then use it in a html file?

But does anyone know this?

BYOB was developed as a mod of Scratch, i.e., starting with the Scratch source code. (At the time of BYOB 1.0 Jens was a member of the Scratch Team.) So, yes, BYOB used Squeak, because Scratch did. But Snap! was a complete rewrite, not including any Scratch code, running in a browser (because schools wouldn't let teachers install software) and so written in JS.

I think node.js is not about window management (like Morphic), but is about letting JS programs run standalone. You mean, why didn't Jens use DOM window management instead of Morphic. And the answer is that Jens considers lively code really important, meaning that the user can be editing a procedure at the same time that a script is running that calls that procedure, and the changes the user makes are active right away. Morphic does that; DOM doesn't.

Grump! Stop bumping your posts that way! Do I have to ban you again?

Thanks as a kid I have a lot of questions but also Please don’t I have a family no banning … jk

I am sorry

I just want a lot of people to view it so they could help me

Also is Jens still part of the scratch team?

Nope! Snap! keeps him quite busy.

I can already imagine

I am only good at 3D and stockmen sorry

What do you think https://blockal-home.barbarabou.repl.co/?

So does the scratch-vm which executes blocks into code

Does Jen’s know how to use scratch-blocks?

without offense, are you autistic?

I think they said that before

Yes

And me as a autistic person… Well what autism does to me is give me super smarts like I am not in middle school I am under and I can spell miscellaneous and do complex things like trig and sin and cos like the sqrt(-1) is i and the sin(-1) is weird cause sine will just apply -sin and how that works is it applies it’s input reprical which is confusing

Wait…
BH said
And the answer is that Jens considers lively code really important, meaning that the user can be editing a procedure at the same time that a script is running that calls that procedure, and the changes the user makes are active right away

So wait a sec scratch does that too! Did Jen’s do that!

Or is it the scratch-vm?