Short Talk: Snap!, APCSP and Title I Schools: Making the Pieces Fit

View on Snap!Con

Presented By: Jeff Kaufman

Abstract:

This workshop will explore the challenges and experiences bringing an Advanced Placement Computer Science curriculum using Snap_!_ to schools comprised of economically disadvantaged high school students located in an inner New York City neighborhood. The College Board Computer Science Principles course was developed to bring college level computer science instruction to a broad and inclusive population by infusing a rigorous coding curriculum with the implications of the social impact of technology. Snap_!_ has been shown to employ successful methodologies for the coding aspect of the College Board course but how does the curriculum successfully engage and prepare students, especially those in Title I schools, for the social impact of technology learning objectives? Traditionally, teacher recruitment for the APCSP course has been from science and math teachers who, generally, have little experience with English and Social Studies learning standards. This has contributed to poor student outcomes and in some cases the loss of established programs in Title I schools.

Certain strategies such as debate, full class and group presentations and discussions as well as targeted literacy instruction commonly found in English and Social Studies classrooms have helped to address some of the unique academic deficits found in Title I schools. Teacher recruitment will also be discussed.

Weintrop, D., Killen, H., & Franke, B. E. (2018). Blocks or Text? How programming language modality makes a difference in assessing underrepresented populations. In Kay, J. and Luckin, R. (Eds.) Rethinking Learning in the Digital Age: Making the Learning Sciences Count, 13th International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS) 2018, Volume 1. London, UK: International Society of the Learning Sciences.

Elavie Ndura, Michael Robinson and George Ochs. Minority Students in High School Advanced Placement Courses: Opportunity and Equity Denied. American Secondary Education, Vol. 32, No. 1 (Fall 2003), pp. 21-38, Dwight Schar College of Education, Ashland University
Stable URL: https://www.jstor.org/stable/41064502

Linda J. Sax , Jennifer M. Blaney, Kathleen J. Lehman, Sarah L. Rodriguez , Kari L. George and Christina Zavala. Sense of Belonging in Computing: The Role of Introductory Courses for Women and Underrepresented Minority Students, Soc. Sci. 2018, 7(8), 122; https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci7080122