Recent OS project surge

well not a full dox. Only location

True but it could end up being a lot worse. I really need to let my school's tech department know about this!!!

After zooming, IT PIN-POINTED MY SCHOOL

DAMN!!!!!! This is really not good. Also you should delete that screenshot someone could find out where you were.

i censored all sensitive information.

Oh alright. good

So uh, what are we gonna do? @bh can you make an option to disable that for your account?

It would be awesome if that was a feature. For me, i filed a helpdesk issue at my district's tech department about this location issue. This is really needed! because it's not that hard for someone to make a malicious project like this. Literally there's latitude and longitude variables :cold_sweat: and even worse I'm always paranoid about being doxxed! Please add something, jens or bh! I know it's not much but it would be useful!!

EDIT: This topic is being derailed. If we continue talk about this issue we should prob move it to another topic

can a mod split this

@mr_owlssssnap2 @dextron Nobody can access your location unless the project connects to an online database, which would probably most likely be blocked by your school wifi or school protection software.

its not. im at school. it pin-pointed my school.

Great, cool, but what about at home?

This isn't what he's talking about, he's talking about the database where the locations would be stored.

read again

cool, but home?

It depends. If you're using a school Chromebook, probably not. If it's a personal computer, you might be at risk. Maybe the devs can add a warning that appears saying what URLs the project accesses. @mr_owlssssnap2

at home, for me, cloud vars work

Again:

This would be a good idea.
@bh? @jens?

DEVS! This would be a great idea; before starting the project, say "This project accesses URLs: xxx.xxxxx.xxx and xxx.xxxxxx.xxx and database xxxxxxx. Are you okay with this?"

I would love this :smiley:

Jeez, you guys.

1. Please don't post messages saying that someone's project is useless. Since when do projects have to be useful? If someone enjoys making an OS simulator and it doesn't interest you, just don't use it. There are bazillions of projects that I don't personally find interesting, probably most of them, but I don't need to tell the authors that! And if the author learns something from making one, then it's not useless after all.

2. It's your browser's job to protect your personal information, and all browsers that I know of let you hide your location. If your school computers aren't set up to allow that, talk to your school. And also, we can't tell you what URLs a project connects to before you run the project, because (like everything in Snap! ) the input to the URL block can be computed by the project, so it may not appear in the program's text. And if your school disables location hiding (which I find hard to believe!), then Snap! is the least of your worries.