My first conlang: Gayth

I'm making my first conlang, Gayth (pronounced /gæÞ/ or "Gayth" in English)!

Mind the dust. these docs (and, indeed, the language itself) are under development.

Typewriter

Edit the source code.

Tutorial

Marks

image has its own alphabet. Actually, it has both a selection of vowels, and an abjad for the consonants.

Here they are:

Vowels

a ə o ɪ
a ə o i
ae u: ee
æ u i

Consonants

• L: L
  • G : G
  • K : K
  • B : B
  • M : M
  • S : S
  • Þ : Þ (or "th")
  • T : T

Now, you might expect that a word, like my friend's name "Matthew," might be written like this:
matÞoo.
However, as you can see from the weird spacing, you'd be wrong.
The correct way is to group syllables, as you will see in the next part.

Syllables

In my language, the most basic morphine is the syllable.
It is written like this:

Consonant Vowel
(optional) Consonant

For example, /mat/ would be written as
image.

In Gayth, every syllable works on its own as a word, and has a meaning. In linguistics, every syllable could be described as a morphine.

Words

To write a multisyllabic word, simply tie the syllables together with an underscore, with a tick on the front.
So, "Matthew" would be:
matthew

Sentences

The word order in gayth is VSO. That means that you write it in the order of verb, object, subject. You add a overline over a sentence.

For example, "I eat meat" is written as eat me meat.
(SaÞ.mat sal saÞ.bɪg.la)

Or "I go to Matthew's house" as "Go to I house of Matthew"
(gum.mat sal gum.gəm.ma.Þu)

Reference

Dictionary

There's nothing to see here.

Using the typewriter

Simply type like you're used to.

Please note that there are some substitutions.

• "p":Þ
  • "e":ə
  • "@":æ
  • "!":ɪ
  • ".":(new syllable)
  • " ":(new word)
  • (enter key):(export)

So, MaÞ u:18x14?

So, you're saying this language is painless to learn?

When you posted that bug report about the weird shadow, I was wondering what language that was on the stage! :~) I thought something like Thai or Khmer, and wasted a fair amount of time scrolling through the Unicode chart, but couldn't find anything that really matched... Now I see why!

No. It would be matthew (correct) b/c it consists of two syllables. The optional third consonant goes on the bottom. I designed the vowels to attach to a consonant.

(PS, reading through the guide, I realised that I wasn't very clear. Sorry about that.)

Oh, I get it!

Hmm. Even though "Matthew" is spelled with two Ts, it's not pronounced "mat'thew"; it's pronounced "ma'thew." Or at least that's how I learned; is this a dialect difference? As for the vowels joining with the consonants, they would have if I'd used your typewriter. :~)

I think you don't have enough vowels. That final U is long, but if the word were "luck" you'd need a short U, for example.

What do you do about syllables with lots of consonants, such as "Snap! "?

;~)

I'd probably write it image

For luck, I'd use image. (ə makes the short u sound.)

matthew

Is that better? (I pronounce it ma'thew, I just wanted something to put in the bottom.)

Oh, first time around I didn't notice that that was a schwa (ə) rather than an e in the table. I don't think you can say that's the same as a short u. The schwa is unvoiced; you can barely hear it. The "u" in "luck" is nice and loud.

Of course, it's your language, and nothing says you have to be able to represent all the IPA sounds. Maybe there aren't any words in your language that sound like "luck."

Sorry, your black ink is invisible against the black quotation window, at least in dark mode.

Anyway, yeah, that's fine.

Oh, yeah. Sorry. I was worried about that. Maybe I should add a white background.

Well, it's only a problem when someone quotes you.