List of Keyboard Shortcuts

For the editor.

In particular, for hiding a block in the block panel. (like right-click>hide on a block)

the only keyboard shortcuts (that I know of) are

ctrl+z - undo
ctrl+shift+z - redo
ctrl+y - redo
shift+click - enter keyboard editing mode

^N new project, ^O open project, ^S save, shift-^S save as.


Those are very common keyboard shortcuts that I'd expect with any program that had save/open functionality. (so are ctrl+c/ctrl+v for copy/paste, but for any text field. (However, I have Windows, while if I recall correctly you have a Mac, so the keyboards are different. (Plus, I think Mac mouses only have one button))

On my Mac, Command-N/O/S tells the browser to start a new window, open a new URL, or save the entire web page; Control-N/O/S tells Snap! to do what it does about the project in the Snap! window.

I think these days clicking the left side of a Mac mouse simulates clicking the left button on a real mouse. But my mouse has five buttons not counting the scroll wheel, which is also clickable. :~)

Left- and right-mouse, two side, scroll (click, scroll up, scroll down) and cpi (behind scroll)?
Because I have all of those. (Zelotes Gaming Mouse)

Perhaps you're thinking I have L and R backward, but if so, it's because you haven't mentally tried putting your thumb on the trackball. :~)

Besides being both ways scrollable, the wheel can be pushed down. The switch in front of the wheel doesn't send anything; it chooses the speed of the trackball. (Why doesn't Unicode have a four-way arrow character? It has three trillion flavors of right arrow, etc., that don't differ in meaning. This four-spoke asterisk was as close as I could find.)

I assumed it was a right-handed mouse.

I had to search that up. BTW can you move the mouse "normally"?

I thought it was a four-way arrow. BTW what font is that?

It's a "FOUR CLUB-SPOKED ASTERISK," U+2725. That character is in Zapf Dingbats; the text is in Baskerville.

You mean, slide the entire device around your desk? No, that's what the trackball is for. Thumbwheel trackballs aren't ideal; unfortunately they no longer make the world's best-ever trackball:
the Kensington TurboBall. It was wonderful because (1) it's ambidextrous, and (2) it has that huge ball you can wrap your palm around, so you get great control. The trackwheel just goes up and down, not sideways, but it also works as a middle button.

Unfortunately, it wasn't an optical trackball; it had little rubber cylinders inside that were held against the ball by springs, and over time the rubber would die. As a result I now have about 20 of them in various states of disrepair, and am an expert in taking them apart and swapping out the rubber things, but I finally got tired of it. Before I got this new one, every year or so I'd buy every TurboBall on ebay. :~/ My new one's pretty nice, although it has some weirdnesses in its software so the buttons aren't as fully programmable as I'd like.

But, once you use a trackball there's no going back.

I was going to search it up on Character Map, but the only Baskerville font I have is Baskerville Old Face, and it'sn't (I think I invented that, a contraction of "it is not") there.

That was true of me, too, for a while. I now have a complete Baskerville set (bold, italic, both, neither), not the Adobe one, because I didn't have to pay for it. I forget where I found it, but DuckDuckGo is your friend.

PS It's the best typeface ever. Research shows that people are more likely to believe what they read when it's written in Baskerville compared to more commonly used computer fonts. :~) (Look it up!)

I use Google as a (unwritten and subject to change) rule. However, I'll search it up.

Edit: Is this it?
Baskerville on Fontsgeek

That one, "maps to," is especially important because it's how mathematicians write anonymous functions, the ones for which computer scientists use λ.

CS: λx . x+3

Math: x ↦ x+3

that's not what they mean.

Well, some of those look right. Not the one in which the "i" is half the height of all the other letters!

But what I really meant is that you should find the study about how fonts affect how much people believe the text. :~)

The Bold Italic one? (not BoldItalic)


Yeah. Baskerville is called a "transitional" font, meaning its characteristics are intermediate between "old style" and "modern" fonts. I wish that study had included an old style font such as Caslon; you could imagine that it would perform even better, but my guess is that old style faces stand out too much to a modern audience, kind of like saying "ye olde" instead of "the old." Whereas modern faces are just plain ugly.

The Snap! Reference Manual is set in Baskerville. :~)

How did we go from keyboard shortcuts to fonts:/

Keyboard shortcuts through

to mouses, then through

to fonts. BTW I noticed you changed your pfp just now.