Light Show

@jens The following video is a proof of concept for development of a light show:

https://youtu.be/W5k6BPiGwFY

The volume of the microphone controls the intensity of an LED. In the current version, sound from the computer speaker is transmitted to the microphone input.

This method works reasonably well, but picks up external background noise. Is there a way to pipe the sound output directly to an input within the computer?

Hi @glenbull,
I think this only depends on your hardware and OS configuration (sound card configuration and options of its mixer).
Opening "micro" reporter, browser ask you permission to use a device. This "device" is depending you OS audio conf. Maybe you have different options (microphone, line in, inner mixer...) or you have only one option ("Analog audio" or something like this) and you can control witch "inputs" are connected to the "main input".

So, you can control this checking your OS audio config and its mixer. You can "mute" microphone inputs and select only "PCM audio". Some controllers (as "jack" in Linux") offer you more control... and you can check witch other aplications you want to connect (not all PCM audios... just what you choose).

A curios question... why have you the "set digital pin 3 to true" inside the forever loop?

Joan

Thanks ... the "Set Digital Pin 3" was code inadvertently remaining from the previous application.

We designed a shield for the Arduino with an H-bridge that I used to control a motor:

I removed the motor and replaced it with an LED. The code fragment from the motor control procedure was overlooked (and not required for the LED application).

P.S. If you would like a copy of the shield that we developed, we would be pleased to send you one.

Thanks @glenbull,
You know, developing Snap4Arduino, we are certainly interested in hardware devices used in schools.
More of our schools are using Imagina shield to control motors, because it is a design well known for them (used more than ten years ago, initially with a Picaxe microcontroller). Schools have a lot of robots using it, with designs similar to this one already commercialized.

Joan
For projects without DC motors, we are using TdR STEAM shield, cheaper and with more built-in sensors.

Hi @ glenbull

Is it possible to have access to the blocks of the demo in youTube to study it and mix it for my purposes ?

THX, Turgut

Sure ... here's a link to the code (which must be opened in Snap4Arduino to control an LED).

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=glenbull&ProjectName=LED%20Control

Also, here's a link to draft documentation that we are developing which explains the way in which we constructed the code. (This is still under development, so we would welcome any feedback.)

This approach should work with any Arduino. However, if you would like a copy of the Arduino shield that we developed for this project, send me a shipping address, and we will put a copy in the mail to you.