How to make a good category color

How to make a good category color

If you want to make a good category color then you might want this tutorial.

If you want a good category color, you need something that won't hurt people's eyes, and something that makes the block text still readable. Here are some examples of what not to do:
category_bad_contrast :x: Too contrasted and saturated

blocks_bad_contrast

category_hard_to_read :x: Too difficult to read

blocks_hard_to_read

category_too_similar_to_others :x: Too similar to another category

blocks_too_similar_to_others
I assure you, this is not the Control category.

Here are some examples of what you could do:
category_good_not_too_contrasted_or_light_easy_to_read_unique :white_check_mark: Not too contrasted, easy to read, and unique

blocks_good_not_too_contrasted_or_light_easy_to_read_unique

category_focusing_on_other_color_areas_and_not_too_hard_on_the_eyes :white_check_mark: Focuses a bit on some other color areas, soft hue

blocks_focusing_on_other_color_areas_and_not_too_hard_on_the_eyes

category_default :warning: Easy to read, but the default for the category color

blocks_default

If you can't find any good colors to make, you can find some websites or pages that offer color themes, like this[1] :warning: or this[2]. They don't have to be just wiki pages, you can choose literally any site. You can also steal borrow some colors from some other block-based programming language, or from another unrelated category!

Of course, this isn't a very good tutorial, because your colors are your opinions.

[1] List of Crayola crayon colors - Wikipedia (:warning: Some color names may be copyrighted. Do not name categories after color names.)
[2] CSS/Properties/color/keywords - W3C Wiki

or try my recommended colors:
untitled script pic (11)

You could also look at this great topic that has a list of colors you can use.

I would hesitate to use Crayola colors, for two reasons: (1)Crayola copyrights them, I think; (2) many of them are not realizable on RGB monitors (or CMYK printers), some obviously so because they're metallic or otherwise textured, but a few because RGB doesn't quite cover the visible color space.

P.S. This is implicit in the examples shown, but it's important to remember that the lighter zebra-coloring version has to be a good color too, which rules out light colors.

Re-edited for this message:

Alright, I've added a warning.

I don't think that's necessary, as copyrighting colors is stupid. Color names, sure, but not rgb values (and no one will have the willpower to track down uses of a specific rgb color, and submit a DMCA takedown).

Yeah, why would someone copyright a color

Google Anish Kapoor lol. He's the guy behind The Chicago Bean. It's called The "Cloud Gate" in theory, but it looks like a giant metal bean, but he's got a rep in the world of colours for some fascinating reasons.

Wow, I love his works, especially Untitled.

... happens to be my most-used project name in Snap!

... which also happens to be my most used project name in my scratch account (with around 283 untitled projects).

... which also also happens to be my most used Geometry Dash level name in the Create tab.

... which also happens to be my most used project name in my scratch account (with a whopping 950 untitled projects).

950 must be a record, because damn, is that a lot.

Hahaha! This is the first time I've felt the lack of a love-it feature here. :slight_smile:

It's true that Crayola is unlikely ever to know what you do in a Snap! project. It's slightly more of a concern for us than for users. There aren't any Crayola colors in the crayons library, for example. (I did use Pantone orange, with credit.) As for "stupid," you're not thinking like a capitalist. Crayola does have competitors, and sometimes one of them does copy their colors (RGB, not just names). I don't think Crayola would sue anyone who happens to use one color that they use, and of course they can't copyright things like 0xff0000, nor a name like "red." But if someone sells a box of 20 colors, all of which match Crayola colors, then you can imagine a lawsuit.

The history of their colors is really interesting, by the way. Check it out on Wikipedia. For example, when I was a kid there was a color called "flesh" that was, of course, Caucasian flesh. There came a time when that sort of thing would no longer fly, and when called on it, they ditched the color, and introduced a box of a dozen (I think) different flesh colors of all races, which appeared only in that box, not in the giant box of 100. But after a while they stopped making those colors, I think just because they weren't selling well, not for a political reason.

I was specifically trying to draw attention to what he did with Vantablack and a specific shade of pink. Namely he kept trying to copyright specific colour shades only for use by him and they're.... unpopular decisions.

It gains him a degree of notoriety tho, which is one reason to copyright colours.

A good example of a color you can't make in RGB!

Untitled Scratch projects don't count, because they save everything you do, whether or not you wanted them to.

Fun fact time with @tethrarxitet!

Unless you have shared the project, then autosave is disabled.