How to define new data types (today and future)?

To define a tree as node or leaf (Caps = type, lower = constructor or record field):

Tree = leaf | node
   leaf = Number
   node = left: Tree, right: Tree

Today I believe I need to write:

• leaf(n) and node(l, r) constructors to encode a type tag + fields as a list
  • isLeaf, isNode predicates to check type tag
  • leafNumber, nodeLeft, nodeRight accessors
  • etc.

Would this be the recommended approach today?

Would any of the macro-like initiatives make this easier in the future? Snap does wonderfully on the function-design side, I'm hoping to also teach data design with type-based design principles, akin to HtdP, with less overhead than today.

Thanks for the awesome work!!!

Yes, that's what you need. Depending on what algorithms you plan to use with trees the "etc." part would be mutators for the nodes.

You could avoid the need for type tags, if you want, by using the untitled script pic block. Then a leaf would just be a number (supposing you don't intend to mutate leaf nodes), and a branch node (in my dialect, a leaf is a node, and the distinction is leaf node vs. branch node) would just be a list. In effect you'd be using Snap!'s internal type tags as your type tags.

And yes, one of the things you could accomplish with macros once we have them is a Define Type block that would take a list of fields and generate the corresponding constructor, selectors, and mutators.

Thanks, Brian, good to know!

• Could a single Define Type expand into a single (compound?) Snap form that included all constructors, accessors, predicates, etc? Any hint what that might look like?
  • Is v7 likely to have enough functionality for Define Type?

I could get excited about this ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Definitely not v7! Macros are still a ways away.

Define Type would carry out a bunch of definitions of custom blocks, so if you say Define Type cereal [Snap, Crackle, Pop] you get new blocks

make cereal, snap: %snap crackle: %crackle pop: %pop
Snap from cereal %cereal
Crackle from cereal %cereal
Pop from cereal %pop
cereal? %thing

and maybe (via a Boolean input to Define Type?)

replace Snap of cereal %cereal with %thing
replace Crackle of cereal %cereal with %thing
replace Pop of cereal %cereal with %thing

Lots of questions to answer, e.g., does this new type get a new palette category color? But, the thing is, Define Type would be defined entirely in user code, so if you don't like my version you can write your own! (Some flavor of user-defined categories will be in v7, for the benefit of extension writers.)

I'm interested enough in this that I might enter the source code rabbit hole :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: ... any suggestion where I might start if I wanted to build a Define Type button? Also, which version / branch should I dig into?

Thanks for any pointers!

Definitely start with the dev version; that's the future of Snap!.

I guess if I were doing it I'd start with the Make a Block code to learn how blocks are added to the world.

But it'd be better if you worked on SCRIPT -> SYNTAX TREE and its inverse. Then we could write Define Type in user code. :~)

Is there a way to get in touch directly (e.g. email) with Jens? I'd like to discuss this topic a bit more directly if possible.

[Edit: Contacted BH directly -- thanks joecooldoo]

Rather, I would contact @bh via email (bh@cs.berkeley.edu) and ask there.