Handle errors while snap loads

What? No? Chromebooks just rose in popularity not even 2 years ago, why would Google be ending its life, especially when more schools are using it?

Easier said than done. You realize most of the new users (most likely starting in 2020) use school-issued chromebooks?

I seriously doubt its the chromebook's fault, as Snap! loads quicker than it did last year for me now this year.

But.. Snap! is actually loading quicker than ever for me now? I don't know about y'all, but, I don't think it's chromebooks in general.

@bh is there any hardware requirements for Snap! that may be effecting some users?

It hasn’t happened to me and most people I have seen report it were on a Chrome browser or Chromebook.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention im also on a chromebook on a chrome browser.

I think its just outdated hardware

It’s fine I already know from previous posts.

In Chrome or in Snap!

in their chromebooks. For example: @power_hack is using a chromebook from 2014.

(also the browser would be outdated software)

I'm sorry, but the requirement for Snap! is to be able to run the current official web standards. This isn't just for convenience but also for security of your school's networks and cloud services. I'm sure your school's IT support staff understands and appreciates that.

What? No? Chromebooks just rose in popularity not even 2 years ago, why would Google be ending its life, especially when more schools are using it?

I think its just outdated hardware

hardware doesn't expire. every computer has the same performance it always had. the only reason it gets "outdated" is because people make slower software and for many devices, the companies stop giving them updates and don't make it clear where people can get their own updates from.
people were just fine using windows 95 and doing all their daily tasks on computers that are called "unusable" now.

you said yourself that the chromebook is from 2014, it's been 6.5 years since then, and that's around the time google stops supporting chromebooks. i can't know exactly why their device is out of date but pretty much everything gets autoupdates and the only reason they wouldn't without someone knowing is if the updates stopped being made.

agent sniffing (there's other stuff in navigator too)
navigator.userAgent

feature sniffing

try {
    ({}.?a); // test .? operator
    (null ?? 3); // ?? operator
} catch (e) {
    // doesn't work! do some stuff
}

just don't block anything based on the detected browser version, only block things based on features. nobody wants to see that their rare browser isn't allowed on the website.

note that many browsers also change and mess around with the useragent specifically because people were using detected browser versions to guess if features were supported and to do nasty things. even my browser says it's an older version than it actually is.

Yes, but chromebooks themselves aren't reaching its end of life?

And also as technology improves, and better/more powerful software gets introduced, the hardware you might have may not work well enough with the program you want to run.
Of course hardware doesn't 'expire', I don't think you know what 'outdated hardware' means.

the chromebook can't get updates. it is at end of life. every chromebook of that model is at end of life. this means there are chromebooks that are reaching end of life and leaving around a lot of dangerous outdated browsers with unsuspecting users.

Yesm I know that model is reaching its end of life, how is this google's fault?

And also, its the OS itself that isnt receiving updates, chrome will probably work for a few more updates.

Explain this then:

What does this mean?

model_name: HP Chromebook 14a

Update schedule
This devices will get automatic software and security updates until June 2027

Oh, ok

google's the one that creates chromeos. pretty much any linux distro, even ones with barely any maintainers, can support nearly all devices. google is a massive company that would be able to easily provide updates for far longer than 6.5 years.

i can't see any way that they wouldn't have gotten browser updates unless google did something wrong because there isn't anyone else involved with that

Explain this then:

fair enough, i assumed it was no longer getting support because they weren't getting updates. i still don't understand why a supported device wouldn't have been up to date.

either way, i don't want to keep this discussion going any further. the thread was to point out that there should be an error message and that has been done long ago now. i don't care for chromebooks or whatever google is doing.

Looks like I have an a model. Sorry, @sarpnt!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.