I don't think it is a bug, but I wanted to report it anyway:
SNAP beta version initially was running in my WIN10 HomeEd Chrome Version 83.0.4103.61 system without any delays when switching between tabs. However, as of yesterday, I am back to the 5- 10 sec delay when switching.
Maybe someone at Microsoft. Ever since they started "contributing" to Chromium it's gotten worse. I bet their secret plan is revenge for killing IE.
No seriously, last week Microsoft started rolling out the new Edge automatically to all users, previously you had to download it and install it yourself. So, there's a good chance some more things changed. But my guess is that - as with all Windows computers - you'll have to re-boot it once per week.
I could not exactly tell what duration I was away from Chrome browser, but when I got back and selected the SNAP! tab, the screen opened up totally empty. Then after waiting ~20secs the blocks filled in and I could run the program.
This does not happen if the switch is relatively back to back between tabs.
I'll try to ascertain the delay more accurately.
I have downloaded Firefox on my computer. I will check how it works on that and let you know.
And a question- can't you look at latest Chromium updates to get an estimation of what might be causing this trouble?
Ah. Well our general strategy for this sort of thing is to place lots of our grad students in Google and Microsoft when they get their PhDs and then use them as spies and secret agents. @jens we should ask Dan who we have in place...
I have not checked on Firefox yet (I am on a different (my dad's) computer at the moment) but I see an empty page on Edge Version 44.18362.449.0 (not sure what this is supposed to mean but HTML 18.18363). Here is a screenshot-
Now, a funny fact is that page's title and favicon did not load the first time I manually typed the address, later, when I copied and pasted the link, it only loaded the page title at first and then after about two minutes also loaded the favicon. I do not think this a network problem but an Edge bug.
I don't get it. I'm using win10, google chrome version 83.0.4103.61 (though when I went to see what version it was, it started to update), and I'm doing just fine. (I also turned off background sync) I also opened a large project.
EDIT: after updating chrome to 83.0.4103.97, it still works just fine.