DATA Export UTF BOM Prefix

Could you clarify if SNAP data exports include the UTF BOM 3-byte prefix (0xEF, 0xBB, 0xBF) because SNAP writes it into the file during the export process, or it happens in Windows or Chrome context when the file is written out to the system ?

REF: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

Thanks.

Hi Turgut, I'm afraid I have no idea how to answer that question. Snap can't directly write files to disk, it has to ask the web browser to do so.

Well, in a way you did. Since SNAP does not do it, it happens within the browser context.

I hope it will help other users who might encounter a similar case while using data export function.

The exported file will have three additional bytes added to the front that identifies the Byte Order Mode.

When viewed in a regular editor etc, these are not shown and handled by the UTF compliant software.

However, when taking that exported file across to other micro device environments (Arduino, MicroBlocks, etc.) one needs to be aware of it and deal with it.

Well YLSNED :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.