Dark mode option for the community site?

i mean wouldn't it ultimately be useless

Some of us find glarey mostly-white screens painful to look at.

There are browser extensions to invert all the colors, but that messes up pictures so it's not as good as a site-specific dark mode.

<rant>My browser is set to default to white print on a black background, and if it weren't for Web Designers making assumptions about how people want their site to look, there would be no need for dark mode.</rant>

I can’t figure how to carry variables in extensions yet, but I should find a way.

Sure, like the forum dark mode dark?

No worries :smile:

I will make a new three for snap fox in a while

Yes..

cool! although i cant use firefox because im on chromebook, edge and chrome support?

SnapFox can work for chrome, but I can’t put it on the store.
So you will have to download the source code.

Then ask someone else for help to apply the extension to chrome. And there will be no automatic updates since if you manage to do that.

ohmawafflez we NEED this

Duh!
Also, since when is dark mode not going into the light?(i mean that in two ways. It is gradually getting more popular, and it is dark.)
I need this to sheild my eyeballs from the light, so i dont go into it. Like if someone ever decides to make it from my idea(like sunglasses), suncontacts.

We are planning a complete redesign of the site (of the code that implements it, not so much of the appearance) and will introduce dark mode at that time. No promises as to when.

Ooo, Do you have in mind what it might look like? like a sketch of boxes.
eg
Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 3.29.47 pm

Nope, no idea at this point, except that it's not going to be very different from what we have now.

Okay, good luck making the new style when you get up to it!

Your using Chromium OS, the open source OS made by Chrome. In addition to this, a better dark mode to this Discourse.org forum should be made as the current one is... eww.

This is the problem with the High Contrast Mode option we already have with chromebooks:

Say if we go on a website that already has dark mode as it's default background, we would all get blinded.

Alas, dark mode is never the default. So you don't have to worry.

I've seen a few websites with a non-white background...
for example---the Fandom Wiki has whatever default that the creator of the specific wiki, chose. When you go onto that wiki, you would see whatever theme the creator decided to choose.

Plus, you would constantly have to turn it on....and off... Especially when you need to switch tabs.

Yes, I do that routinely. I have a dark-mode extension for Chrome that remembers per-site settings, though.