Cloud system help?

"cloud variables" can mean a lot of things to lots of people.

It's relatively simple to run a server on the Internet and then let people save and retrieve information from it.

It becomes much harder to do that securely

To enable Snappers to read each others variables securely requires the server to be run by the Snap! team as they are the only ones that can securely verify who people are.

I used mqtt to create a cloud database system
it works just like cloud variables so I think it could help

Link

also it doesn’t require a server so it works quite well
disclaimer:
because it’s in its beta it doesn’t have good safety so anyone who knows the database name can edit it but I will fix that in the future

I'm saying this as someone who has written a lot of not so good code (quite a bit in the last 13 days actually trying to solve Advent of Code puzzles) but your project doesn't work "quite well"

Quite a few of us have pointed out some issues with it :slight_smile:

But I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point for someone else making a cloud database server using MQTT

I know it has many issues
and I’ve been trying to fix as many as I can
he wanted something that works like cloud variables so I gave him something that works like cloud variables

With the ability of MQTT brokers to "retain" messages, you could use this library based on @cymplecy's forum post. As always:

I use the retain function

uh, yes... i did say that
i don't get why you're saying no based off the first post
you didn't read the other comments?

well, i could use the libraries... but i'm really just trying to learn to make a cloud library myself because imo it's a really interesting thing to work on

i've actually seen this project before! honestly i forget why i stopped trying to use it... or even look over the code to see how it works, most likely how i originally intended to...

sadly i can't afford anything right now...

well, it's an answer to my question... so i did kind of want it
even in the original post, i said:

and besides, i've already been trying to work on a set of blocks that works with both the MQTT library and the database library

really?
why not? imo from looking at it, the library makes it seem relatively simple compared to using actual cloud servers like cloudflare or replit...

that doesn't sound right... it doesn't sound right at all...

that will not work great, mainly for security reasons, and some issues you have to circumvent. it is also better to host your own mqtt server so you have more control over it, but that's you choose.

@codegang has not fixed any of the issues mentioned on their topic (again, problems with security and malicious use)

well yeah, i understand that literally anyone can find out what the name of the topic you're using in one project is, and can connect to it from another... maybe i'll try to find a way to fix that, but for now i guess i'll deal with it, especially because of the fact that the project isn't even finished yet.

i published one of my projects that had mqtt in it and the first thing that happened is that a malicious programmer jammed my matchmaking service by pretending to be a player than disconnect right away so you couldn't play the game

Then I'd suggest looking at the forum post I linked. It describes a bunch of info about MQTT.

yeah that sounds annoying...
but seriously, there isn't really a good way i can get a secure cloud server right now...

what will you be using this for? you can try setting up some sort of validation system

yeah that post actually gave me a piece of information i should've looked for a long time ago
i never read it fully and carefully until now...

that's what i was thinking of doing

what will you be using this for? i might be able to give you some tips.

well nothing really specific (now) but i just thought the project would be fun and it would supply a whole new library of cloud blocks that could be easy to work with and understand

i am trying ok
its very hard to make mqtt secured
also what do you think people will do with it
leek privite info

yeah
people online would do that
no matter what site they're using
so many internet users have no sense of personal boundaries