Can't access a LAN webserver from Chrome based browsers using URL reporter

I've discovered that I can't access a LAN webserver using the URL reporter in Chrome (and my main browser Vivaldi which is chrome based)

But it still works from Firefox

If I just type the URL in the browser address bar - it works but just not when trying from Snap!

Googling seems to point to a change late last year in Chrome

Do you control the server? Does it publish a CORS policy?

Dariusz has answered on a different thread so carrying on discussion back there

A new extra header to control access to private networks has been introduced.
Access-Control-Allow-Private-Network: true

But...

May 2022: Chrome 102 rolls out to Stable. The deprecation trial ends. Chrome blocks all private network requests from public, non-secure contexts.

It's not clear to me if "Access-Control-Allow-Private-Network: true" will bypass this limitation.

So Snap! should be served from HTTPS URL (secure context) with "mixed content" enabled.
And/Or ESP32/PICO board with the local server running HTTPS endpoint should be used.

Yes, that is what I've found out as well :frowning:

It'll be interesting to see if the Snap! team are willing to do the "mixed content" thing that you are suggesting and whether it would actually work.

It's a browser setting or command line switch - it changes every few months ;(
Starting the fresh one, not shared, Chrome process with the "--allow-running-insecure-content --disable-web-security" should do the trick.
To enforce the new process, kill the other instances of Chrome, or use the switch
"--user-data-dir=\some_directory"
"--profile-directory=\other_directory"

[edit] Didn't work for me the first time I tried it. But cleared the cache and it now works :slight_smile:

It wouldn't be a good workaround in a school/college as I doubt the IT dept would let people run Chrome that way! :slight_smile:

[edit2] Now it's not working again!

Maybe I fooled myself that it was working!

[edit 3] Yep - I think when I thought it was working, I had clicked on another tab in another browser and not the Chrome one :slight_smile:

Attempt failed ...

It may work with

1. "mixed content" enabled
  2. Snap! served over HTTPS
  3. server@D1Mini programmed to send CORS and PNA headers
    Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
    Access-Control-Allow-Private-Network: true

I'm not able, right now, to pull all the strings at once...

[Edit.1] Even if mixed content is enabled, the service worker (sw.js) will block subsequent calls, by design.

So, for boards without HTTPS server, MQTT (public or local server) seems to be the simplest way.

[Edit.2] This scenario works for me in Chrome.v103@Win10

1. Disable then relaunch chrome://flags/#block-insecure-private-network-requests
  2. Run HTTP Snap! http://extensions.snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html
  3. Lan server can be accessed over HTTP with eg. untitled script pic - 2022-07-06T212545.126

:slight_smile:

I closed and re-opened Chrome - put chrome://flags/#block-insecure-private-network-requests into address bar - set it to disabled and it works :slight_smile:

[edit] I did the same in my normal Vivaldi browser and that also works now :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.