Can you make minecraft in snap?🥴

can you make minecraft with snap?

i guess, and why the heck did you use that emoji :skull: :skull: :skull:

Technically yes, but it'll be very difficult. I'd suggest trying to make something like paper minecraft

cause it looked like a confused emoji

bro thinks its a confused emoji :skull: :skull: :skull:

you know what just look at the emojipedia article for it

This is not quite a direct answer to your question, but what has been done is to embed Snap! in a Minecraft server so you can program with it: ProgKids (in Russian).

If snap has no ceiling I don’t see why not

The issue is not about ceiling; Snap! can handle the computation. It's more about what Mitch Resnick calls "wide walls": support for particular applications, in this case really complex graphics. Maybe we can do it; Snap! is pretty good at handling a lot of sprites these days. The question would be whether the sprite metaphor is the best way to do this kind of graphics. I suspect yes, but I don't know enough about Minecraft to be sure; I find its programmability more interesting than its story line.

I mean in theory if we can display any pixel anywhere on the screen it is possible with pen

can you make it 3d? and can snap take it?

That would be both horrendously slow and horrendously painful to program. You're basically inventing your own widget manager instead of using the one we provide.

The answer is yes.

That's not the real question though, the real question is should you do that?
As a learning experience? Absolutely Yes
Is it going to be easy? Absolutely Not.
Is it going to be worth it? Also probably no.
Should you try it anyway? Yes. (Depending on patience levels)

I've been trying to port a lot of John Carmack's work in the early 90's across, (Wolf3D, Doom, Quake) but as someone who still can't read text code properly I still can't really translate across.
What I want is well beyond Snap's scope though and so is minecraft.

What'd you'd end up doing is extending snap well beyond it's limits and then end up having to write your own programming language and scope to handle such an ambitious project.

For me, Quake has a thing embedded in it's logic called QuakeC which is a very limited parser of C for quake logic, like monsters and scripts. Porting Quake across and implementing QuakeSnap would be almost, but not quite, an example of meta circular programming and for me atleast is worth the experiment.

Except every time I try I get stuck. Cause I don't really want SNAP! I want an any language to block parser, I've said this before, and it's still well beyond my skillset.

TL;DR. "Can I built minecraft in snap? ... Maybe"

As a followup, because I forgot to mention it.

Jadga's ray casting project is a pretty good examination of the visual logic behind Wolf 3D. All you'd need to build is everything else, ie, a tile editor and the game logic, and snap's sprite's, clones and message passing could handle most of the work.

Someone made 3D Minecraft on Scratch, but Snap! is a looooooooot slower.

But also better for more complex things

Actually, Minecraft uses the proper capacity of your CPU/GPU. SNAP! can't because it's sandboxed into your browser, mostly because it's a teaching language. Though, Snap! does have that power. Running two green flags at a time is an abstraction for multi-threading.

There's a reason Jens says snap has no ceiling. It's because it really doesn't.

You could theoretically extend snap with something like WebGL or Three.js and give snap! that access, but you'd have to add a whole lot of things to to do that, which goes back to my original questions in my earlier post. (I always run out of patience trying to port Carmack stuff across, because text coding is my kryptonite and I always get stuck cross translating)

The catch is Minecraft is developed by Mojang which has a lot of people working for it now.

A huge team and an unlimited budget is always going to trump one person on a hobby platform.

Well, Not really in my opinion, but you'd need to learn a lot of things.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.