Art & Music: Designing Games (Spring 2024)

I love the art of your game! I think you can make your character movable by adding some code (eg. When pressed right arrow…)

I love your idea, this is cool! On the red dot sprite page, I think setting the code to when the [Wait until touching sprite (bee)], then adding the stop all block will make the game pause by touching the red dots. To clear the background, you can google background remover to achieve the effect of the bee and flowers.

I love the animations as well! I think you did a really good job with that and I also thought it was a really nice addition that when the red dots hit the character, his entire outfit turned red.

Good use of sound! I noticed that when you lose the game a few times in a row, the game doesn't start, even when the green flag is pressed. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I wanted to let you know. Also, I'd love to see the jumping tweaked a bit so it's less challenging at the beginning. Either way, nice concept

Jason,

Here's one way you might go about making the barriers scroll up the screen. If you look under the Bar sprite, I've added some code and some comments to explain how I created the sprite and how it works. Essentially, you need an extra wide sprite that you can position left to right and then have it scroll vertically as a clone.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=maketolearn&ProjectName=Ball%20Drop%20Game

Then you'll need to create some code to detect collisions between the ball and the scrolling barriers. The barriers scrolling up may create enough illusion of motion to make it look like the ball is falling on its own.

Great concept. Be sure to take a look at the "Side-scrolling Games" instructional document at the link below. The example in the document has the sprites scrolling from left to right, but you could repurpose the code to have your clouds fall from top to bottom. There's also an example of the game described in the document under the "Flower Collector" game link.

https://maketolearn.org/module-11/

Freya,

Great concept. I love that you're building off of your projects from previous weeks. Check out the code I added to your "red" sprite. If you run a parallel script to check for collisions between the clones of the dot and the bee, you can then incrementally change a "Score" global variable and delete the clone that's been touched.

See if you can duplicate it for your "black" sprite. On Wednesday, I can show you in person how to create transparent backgrounds for your sprites and mirror them.

Also, for the motion of the be, the code you had works, but it is more complicated than it needs to be. Simply using a "change y" or "change x" block and using a low value like "1" or "2" will create a similar effect.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=maketolearn&ProjectName=Bee%20Game

Thanks! That's very helpful.

Update: I have set on "synthetic watermelon" (合成大西瓜 in Chinese). It's basically a game of merging the same fruit together to become a larger fruit. You lose when fruits touch the top of the stage.

So far I have the fruit sprites in and the basis of the game (drop the fruit, if the fruit touches another fruit, changes to a new fruit). I still need to figure out how to let gravity do its thing for the fruits (roll to left/right), get the fruit to be at the same position after a costume switch, keep the fruit on the stage (the grape at the bottom is off the stage), change to next costume only when the same fruit is touching, and etc.

4/9: I don't know how to restrict the mouse pointer from moving beyond an area so it added a keyboard ver. so the fruit stays at a set height and is only able to move horizontally.

I have linked the original game here to help better explain the words above.

Update (4/9): I added a start screen with some music, added an additional level with four ducks, added some music when you clear a level, and music when you beat the game and made it such that it will randomly generate a duck with a specific speed and at a random location. I'm running into a weird glitch in which for Level 3 and 4 there's a small chance that it will create too many clones of a duck. For levels 3 and 4 there should be 3 and 4 ducks respectively but sometimes there could be 4 ducks for level 3 and 5/6 ducks for level 4.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=kidusfasil&ProjectName=Duck%20Hunt

Update (4/11, but forgot to post): I fixed all of the bugs I was encountering

I think this is a pretty good start! I do like the idea of doing of using powerups and maybe you could add the poison mushroom to the game.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/project?username=freyalin2021&projectname=Bee%20Game

Update:

I've set some new rules: the player needs to control the bee to collect 10 red pollen to win. If the bee collects red pollen, the player gets a point. If the bee collects green pollen, the player loses a point. If the bee collects blue pollen, the player loses the game immediately.

Additionally, I have imported a lose and win screen so that the player knows if they are winning or losing.

However, I still have a question about how to stop the music if the player collects enough points before the music ends.

Snap! week 12!!! (berkeley.edu)

Press the spacebar to start the game. Try to get 15 eggs in your basket before you have 3 chicken.

Update 4/15
I added a set block so that the eggs and the chickens don't fall down as quickly. So it's a little easier to get 15 points now.

I think this a pretty interesting concept and I love the integration you have with your motif! I think it fits well with the bumblebee collecting pollen. My only suggestion is that the controls could be a little better because right now they are too stiff

Although my game isn't quite finished yet, one thing I added on was a game over animation when you lose the game, and you can actually change whether you want it on or off at the start of the game.

I love this game! It's a lot of fun, although I would say it's a tad too difficult. I would turn down the speed that the eggs and the chickens fall at, to make it a tad easier. But even if you don't, it reminds me of those mega hard arcade games that would steal all your tokens.

This game is easy to pick up and reminds me of Frogger, which I like. I noticed that the movement relies on tapping the arrow keys repeatedly in order to move. Changing this (so that holding down arrow key = keep moving that direction) might be a little easier for the player. On the other hand, keeping it the way it is provides the ability to change directions more quickly, which could also help the player, depending on how you want the game to feel. Love your player sprite!

I really love the game. You could be a little more detailed in the notes for some of the code implementation. Other than that, really cool game.

Hey there, I just wanted to let you know it seems like this is the old version! I remember seeing it in class and I was hoping to provide feedback on the blue pollen, as it makes you lose. I think that because it's so detrimental, that perhaps the way the blue pollen works could be changed or used in a more high-risk high-reward style of gameplay

Sudoku

The concept of my game is sudoku. The goal is to autogenerate a grid of random numbers that work with the rules of the game. Then you can click on any square and type in a number you are guessing. If you get it right it will fill in. If not, you will lose a life.

UPDATE: I lost interest in making this. I made a new game instead.