Art and Music - Module 3 (Fall 2022)

Here's a link to the third module, Colorful Patterns: Creating Art in the Style of Pollock:

https://maketolearn.org/creating-art-animations-and-music/creating-colorful-patterns/

Create art in the style of the artist Jackson Pollock in this module.

Here is the link to my project for week 4. This piece uses two different color pallets to capture space and spring. The program that does the drawing is essentially the same, so the colors are the only thing that changes. In order to try out the other pallet, just drag the other script under the "run when green flag pressed" block.

• Megan Beach

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=zta9cq&ProjectName=Assignment%204%20-%20Pollock

I started this project by looking at a lot of different varieties of Jackson Pollock’s work. One of the main ideas I picked up on was the way he layered different colors and techniques. As a result, I wanted to use various different randomized techniques on Snap! To emulate the “controlled randomness” that real paint splatters create. I started by using a random scribble and then adding two randomized tear drop shapes to convey paint splatters. I kept playing around with different layers until I liked the end product. Eventually, I added tinier dots to look like the splashing of real paint and make the end piece look more “messy” and “natural” like Pollock’s work. I also added a semi-transparent colored wash over the entire piece in between layers to create a more blended and less clean-cut look. Once I got the colors I wanted, I started utilizing the different ways to set your color palette and use the “association” block or “item of” block to simplify the picking of the hues.

I really liked the aesthetic choices you made here. The black background and circular object on the right hand side give the piece a galaxy-type look. I also liked your decision to use all dots layered in different colors and sizes. I like this continuity because sometimes I thought my own piece looked a bit messy or distracting when there were so many different shapes. I also really enjoyed how your two color palettes had a sort of "theme", it was a really creative way to implement the palette part of the assignment.

Here is the link to my week 4 assignment. This piece is inspired by the Jackson Pollock Style painting, Beauty of the Bridge 10. I chose this piece because I really enjoyed the color scheme and how the more classic Jackson Pollock style is overlaid on a more structured striped background. Both the background and the splatter paint mid-section allowed me the opportunities to work with multiple color palettes and add in many instances of controlled randomness. I first created the background with randomly colored lines with random y-coordinates. Then, I created the splatter paint center with a different color palette and randomly placed dots and randomly sized squiggly lines, all restricted to only the center of the stage.

Here is the link to Beauty of the Bridge 10: Beauty of Bridge 10

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=mla9bv&ProjectName=WEEK%204

For this project I wanted to make a never-ending pie chart that is constantly changing colors and sized gradually overtime. The goal was to find out just much of an aesthetic I could create using one shape.

I really liked this project a lot! The creativity that went into it to make designs within a design was really cool and it really blended really well with the background design.

Not gonna lie, once we learned how to make the random location blocks, my mind instantly thought of cupcake sprinkles. Before I even saw the assignment was to make something related to Jackson Pollock, my mind was set on a cupcake. So, naturally, I made a cupcake. I would like to say that the sprinkles are somewhat in the style of Pollock. I have two different cupcakes— when the green flag is clicked, a pink cupcake with rainbow sprinkles will be made. If you click the blocks on the right, a vanilla cupcake with chocolate sprinkles will be made. Of course, I had to finish it off with a cherry on top.

It's really cool how you used all three elements of the stripes, splatters, and curvy lines to recreate the painting so closely!

I really like how you incorporated varies shapes and colors into your piece. Each part really stood out in its own way.

The link above is to my project for assignment 4.
To create the style of the artist Jackson Pollock, I made my design incorporating a lot of different things. For example, to create the squiggly scribbling lines similar to that of Pollock’s, since I didn’t want to do only straight lines, I decided to make an event of chance where there’s a 50% chance of the lines turning right and 50% turning left and then moving forward. Drawn out, this replicates the scribbling lines seen in the artwork, and if it touches the edge, it bounces off. Moreover, I also set the pen saturation to a limit of degree of randomness so that it is not only one color.

@ppk6chf I really like the final look of this design. My favorite aspect is the squiggly lines. The random degree and direction of the lines is an ingenious way of adding more randomness and it definitely gives the piece a more Pollock look than only straight lines. It is also really neat to watch each step be drawn out instead of the code warping to the final product.

I love the look of this project! Your color choices work together so well and I love the way that the combination of the teardrops and tiny dots looks - it does feel like paint splatters! The way that you used the transparent wash is very effective and it does blend everything together and makes the piece look really tied together

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=samrbaron&ProjectName=Week%204%20-%20Black%2C%20Grey%2C%20Yellow%20Painting&editMode&noRun

(posted in the wrong forum)
Here is my project for an abstract painting. I used two color pallets, one with black, grey, and white, and the other pallet was a mixture of browns and yellows. I used the random tool to randomize pen size, pen color, pen direction, and pen length to create a sort of splatter paint painting. Enjoy!

This is a really cool painting! I like the use of different color pallets to create such a cool effect with the contrast in colors. Good job!

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=jlars789&ProjectName=Meteor%20Shower

I made a randomly generated meteor shower. Simplistic in look, but uses a few carefully curated equations to achieve the desired look. One is the size scaling. Meteors with a longer tail (the randomly generated condition) must be larger, but a linear scaling method would be far too large. Square root also proved to be slightly too large. To remedy, the final scaling formula is y = 1.35 * sqrt(x^0.7).

In addition, as the meteors fall at a random angle pointing to the right, I had to ensure most meteors fell from the left (but not all). I created a weighting function that gave a 3/4 chance for the meteor to originate from the left side of the screen. Looking back, I would like to have added a similar weighting function to the top, so that most originated from the top 1/8 of the screen.

I really like this concept. The painting reminds me of looking close up at fabric or hair with the different strands all standing out from each other and seems to have some sort of design behind the randomness.

Snap! Pollok Project (berkeley.edu)

This is my Pollok inspired Project, the details of my design process are in the project notes.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html#present:Username=ird2dpj&ProjectName=week4
I created this using several principles we covered in class including the dots, association table, and constrained randomness for the location of a sprite. The final product ended up looking far different from what I expected, but definitely emulates the randomness of Pollock!