Absolute Value

Thats confusing, math is confusing..as I say this on a forum for coding

lol but like trig and calc and stuff are used on a daily basis in a ton of fields? sure, you might use a calculator to get answers, but you need to know how to get those yourself- or at least how to attempt to get those answers. pumpkinhead is right too- 3D games & engines require some pretty complex math!

why do you have such a strong aversion to helping people?
(no, that's a joke. i can totally understand)

But math is hardddd

Owlsss say, as he makes a 3d game

That's not the hardest thing, you have to do RTX stuff to make your 3D graphics smooth.

Ugh, why does school have to teach us fractions and then decimals and then tell us to use both?!

I get it, 1/3 cannot be a decimal because 1/3 is naught point repeating 3 (0.333333333333333) but still!

Ugh, I have math next...and I thought 6th grade math was hard...

Dang.

Let me do this after school I got only 4 mins on here.

The circle of life MATH

I believe it is actually well written and easy to understand :slight_smile:

That is part of what I had said earlier.

What? You don’t need raytracing to get “smooth” 3D graphics. (I’m guessing you mean smooth performance-wise.)

Representing numbers as fractions are more useful in some cases, like in the example you gave, and decimals in others. For one, decimals are used more in like engineering iirc.

That's not why.

They teach you fractions because they want you to understand that fractions mean divide your stuff into q equal parts and take p of them. That's why you see all those pie diagrams. And they want you to understand that if you divide the pie in quarters and eat three of them, you get the same size stomach ache as if you divide it in eighths and eat six of them. And they want you to understand that if you divide a bunch of pies in quarters and eat seven pieces, that's the same as eating one entire pie plus three pieces of another pie.

But nobody expects you actually to do arithmetic with fractions in practice. In practice you use decimals, for three reasons: (1) Your calculator uses decimals. (2) Certain specific kinds of practical problems use decimals, such as money in dollars/Euros/whatever and cents. (3) Most numbers are not expressible as fractions because they're irrational, but you can usefully approximate them with decimals. When you say that the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter is "about 3.14159" you could equivalently say "about 3 and 14159/100000," but that wouldn't be practical for computation and also wouldn't do as good a job of conveying that it's more than 3 but less than 3&nbsp1/4, or that it's about equal to the square root of 10. (That last comparison is just a curiosity now, but was important back when we used slide rules.)

It's not helpful for you just to say "math is hard" repeatedly, as you've done four times in this thread. I mean, I guess it's helpful if the object of the exercise is just to vent steam, but if you actually want to have a conversation you should be more specific about something you find hard. For example, what was confusing in what I wrote to earthrulerr?

sorry..

is the answer not 4? does 7-4 not equal 3?

Between 1-100 or....?

theres an end??

Exactly, thats why I am wondering if he means 1-100

If you're saying there are infinitely many primes, prove it!

Unless, of course, you are a character in Through the Looking Glass:

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.' 'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.' 'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be the master - that's all.' Lewis Caroll (Charles Dodgson), Through the Looking Glass, Chapter 6 (first published in 1872).

i dont know how :sob:

You're not supposed to know; you're supposed to figure it out. But I guess it does help to know a bunch of proofs of theorems so you have a starting point of things to try.

Let's see what earthrulerr says...