A "don't touch your face" project that complains if you touch your face

Here's a program that tracks the location of your eyes, nose, and wrists. It issues a warning if your hands come close to your face. Requires a webcam.

https://snap.berkeley.edu/project?user=toontalk&project=dont%20touch%20your%20facedont touch your face

1 Like

This is so cool, @toontalk!

But that will encourage people to touch their face to see if the project works

Maybe it should ask you to wash your hands before running it :slightly_smiling_face:

I don't think this should have been reported.

Ah. What should the rules be about necroposting?

My bad; I just saw the reply and did not think about looking at the dates. I just thought of a good rule to prevent necroposting: close the topic if it is old.

How long should a topic exist before replies to it are considered necroposting?

I think new topics now close a month after the last reply.

Only in some categories, but I guess we could broaden that to all of them.

What is the rationale behind closing topics after a quiet month? I don't think I've seen similar policies in any other fora.

Maybe a month is the wrong amount of time, but the idea is that posts after a long time of silence tend to be (as in this case) just "this is great" or maybe "this isn't great." So those of us who follow the forum closely have to deal with that clutter. And also, on this forum we've had problems of threads being hijacked into chats and online romances, and closing topics might help with that.

But, this isn't a Policy Decision at this point. This conversation started because a user flagged another user for necroposting, and so we started talking about how to react to necroposts. Automatically closing threads is a way to avoid the whole business of flagging and having moderation requests showing up in my messages. :~/ I think I can count on my thumbs the number of times a very late post really advanced the discussion in a thread.

I don't understand. What is bad about posting after a long silence, especially if the message is positive?
Fine, whatever, I won't do it again, but I would like an explanation.

Maybe a month is the wrong amount of time, but the idea is that posts after a long time of silence tend to be (as in this case) just "this is great" or maybe "this isn't great." So those of us who follow the forum closely have to deal with that clutter. And also, on this forum we've had problems of threads being hijacked into chats and online romances, and closing topics might help with that.

But, this isn't a Policy Decision at this point. This conversation started because a user flagged another user for necroposting, and so we started talking about how to react to necroposts. Automatically closing threads is a way to avoid the whole business of flagging and having moderation requests showing up in my messages. :~/ I think I can count on my thumbs the number of times a very late post really advanced the discussion in a thread.

I'm still confused. When I use the Forum's search facility I see very old threads with no obvious indication that it is closed. E.g. Strong? encryption by just multiplying text (viewed as an integer in base 2^32) by an integer

The only category I've seen the auto-closing in are Help With Snap!. I assume that's because once the person has gotten help, there is not much one can add to the conversation.

It no work...

Yes it does:

I think they were talking about the project.

You need to be more specific.