Website set up HOWTO

Hi All,
I would like to set up a Snap website. I had successfully set up the previous version of the website (the one without the community) both on Ubuntu 17 and 18. Can you please let me know at least one (or, hopefully, a short list of) OS and the minimal requirements where the website has been successfully setup so that I can rent the correct hosting?

Thanks in advance
Stefano

Umm, it's only been set up once afaik. We're on a virtual Linux at Digital Ocean. My offhand guess is that Ubuntu will do fine, but you're missing something we rely on, e.g., Lua.

Thanks for the suggestion Brian. I see that Digital Ocean's droplets come with several possibile preinstalled OSs (Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, Fedora, CoreOS, FreeBSD). Does the Snap website run on one of those OSs?

It's some flavor of Linux, but I have no idea which. @cycomachead or @bromagosa would know.

But it shouldn't matter; they're all the same OS.

It's an Ubuntu droplet. Here's all the instructions on how to set up a Snap! cloud yourself:

Once you have a cloud up and running, you'll need to serve the actual Snap! site. The site is just a plain HTML website, but statically built by a somewhat complex shell script. You can find it here:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot Brian and Bernat!

A last question. I suppose the website is GDPR compliant, isn't it?

See the FAQ.

Thanks for pointing me to the GDPR faqs. So, if I understand it correctly, the website doesn't ask for the user permission to collect their personal information, basically their email address and month/year of birth. I will have to add this part to the website, as the European legislation is very strict on this.

Not the month/year of birth, because that information never leaves the user's own computer. It's used only to decide whose email address to ask for. If just the email address is enough to trigger the GDPR then we have to do it too, but our German lawyer (i.e., Jens) thinks we don't have to because the email address is PII only in conjunction with other information about the user's real-life identity.

The trouble is that in order to satisfy the GDPR you'll have to collect more PII, enough to be able to prove the user is who he says he is. That's what we really want to avoid.

P.S. What you really have to worry about is any PII that the user might voluntarily include in a published project. And it's hopeless to police that.