Sorting menus

Yes!

But we can play and get fun with this idea.

Yes, we can't be hacking our current Snap! version.. But we can share "special day" projects (on Snap! web), as challenges, with ideas like this one. The first, "Chursch's day challenge", hiding blocks and with a challenge written inside.

Joan

Nobody seems to agree with me about this, but I would not introduce recursion with an example that could be done by looping. (Well, except by implementing a stack and looping through a stack-based interpreter.) The way to sell students on recursion is to start with a branched recursion -- two recursive calls in the middle of this call. Like vee!

Do you mean the branched tree? I like to introduce students to new computational tools by using real world (non-abstract) examples. So, for example, they could use recursion to work on files in folders inside folders, etc. Do you have better real world examples (i.e., no mathematics, no fractals, etc) for using recursion?

counting change, Rény's parking problem, binary search, flood fill...

Thanks Jens. They are high level but I like them. In a world in which we share our lives with PCs they are fine :slight_smile:

Do you mean changing bills to coins?

yes, exactly! Brian's example from SICP is totally amazing, one of the most beautiful projects ever.

Do you have a link to it?

Oh sure, here's Brian's project: https://snap.berkeley.edu/project?user=bh&project=count%20change

and here's "just the formula":

Elegant :slight_smile:

Yolo! Where is the site?

If that happens,i will publish some loop customs that are recursive and let them trespass the no loop range

please stop spamming every thread.