Set Font, Bold and Italic for Pen Writing Block

Can't you use the new costume block? (sorry if I'm not understanding quite well, I don't know matrixes yet.)

The matrices I'm using only store x,y coordinates (relative to the top-left corner) of black pixels.

You could make a costume with something like

where index to xy coordinates is a block you'd write that divides and mods the index by the width.

You don't even need the (list [x] < >) block, reshape works with that slot empty.

For my test project, version with map (w:width, h:height, pixels coord:coordinate array)
Italics costume.2 script pic
took ~600 [ms], while
Italics costume.2 script pic (1)
~90 [ms]

Oh, sure, because your version looks only at the black pixels rather than at all the pixels. Not surprising. But 600ms (less than a second!) isn't enough of a burden to overcome my preference for functional programming style. :~)

Ok, performance is not that important to you.
But, for me, 1.5s (matrix calculation) + 0.5s (costume rendering), for one letter, is way too slow.
With skew implemented directly as
Italics costume.2 script pic (4)
the whole process took only ~ 200..300 [ms].

That's fair; I wasn't thinking about the cost of the entire process, just the 600ms you mentioned in your previous message.

It says the project does not exist.

Sorry, project shared again. Try now...

So is there a way to do this without the small bit of JS?

If you think of Italics costume.2 script pic (6)
, in the built-in library "Text Costume", then yes.
This Italics costume.2 script pic (5) can be ommited.

Could you explain how?

You can just take it out.

So when might this be possible? After all the bugs and glitches of 7.0?

Well, there are TONS of things they have to do other than :snap:. @bh is also a teacher of the BJC (Beauty and Joy of Computing), so you can image how busy he is. Also, this request would need to be approved by @jens to get into :snap:.

Exactly as joecooldoo said...
Project sholud work now with JS disabled.

Yes, exactly.

We all want some form of better text handling, although I don't think we all have the same vision. I want to model it on the text windows of Object Logo, which, e.g., have two flavors, one that you can edit anywhere (like a text editor), and one to which you can only append (like a shell window). Jens wants something simpler than that.

But this isn't on the list of urgent prioritites; it's on the "when things slow down" list. So, I can't really predict when it'll happen.

That's fine. Thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.