Microcontrollers & Sensors -- Snap! and the physical world

BOF Proposal

This will be a chance for people interested in using Snap! as the interface to microcontrollers and sensors to discuss how to collaborate going forward.

What is the title for your BOF?

Microcontrollers & Sensors -- Snap! and the physical world

Who are the speakers presenting?

Joel Rosenberg did some work on Arduino with Processing about 10 years ago that he'd like to introduce briefly. See: http://www.lajpe.org/icpe2011/7_Joel_Rosenberg.pdf

Abstract: What is this BOF about?

Microcontrollers, sensors, and Snap!

Should attendees bring anything or prepare?

No.

Bernat, Kathy, and I can answer questions about MicroBlocks. I'd also love to compare notes with others who are using microcontrollers, sensors, actuators, NeoPixels, robots -- anything that connects to the physical world. I had been planning to submit my own BoF proposal but yours is exactly what I had in mind! I've invited Tom Lauwers, Bambi, Bernat, and Kathy to join us and I hope Verena Konrad (Microcomputers in Physics), Andreas Gräfl (Microcontroller Starter Kit), and Glen, James, and Jo from the Make to Learn team will also join us. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas with everyone!

P.S. Just skimmed your paper. Nice trick to measure voltage and current at the same time. :slight_smile: Projects like the one you did have become easier and cheaper with the widespread adoption of micro:bit and blocks languages to program it.

Joan Guillén (@jguille2) should be there too! He's the maintainer of Snap4Arduino :slight_smile:

Fine! I will be there :slight_smile:

@jrose @johnm @ericstein @richnguyen Thanks so much for organizing a Birds of a Feather session on physical computing. We look forward to participating.

Link to my site with all my Scratch/BYOB to Pi/Arduino/Crumble projects over the years (only ScratchGPIO actively in use really)

Currently working on Snap!GPIO :slight_smile:

Here's the category we said we'd create in the forum: https://forum.snap.berkeley.edu/c/compsci/physical-computing/42