Licenses, COPPA, and other legalisms (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Licenses, COPPA, and other legalisms (Part 1) - #100 by joecooldoo.

Previous discussions:

@bh

Ohk

@bh Why do you not have to get parental consent?

We should. That's the point of asking for your parent's email instead of your email, if you're under 13, when you create the account. I'm sure the email we send is defective in terms of all the detailed COPPA rules, and I'll try to get that fixed.

Although, at the end of the day, we (i.e., the University of California) are a 501(c)3 nonprofit, so COPPA doesn't apply to us at all. We voluntarily try to do what it says anyway because we're good guys.

Ok, could you sign up for Snap! Jr. and see if we need to do anything related to COPPA?

You're not a business, so you don't have to do anything. But in any case, I can't take on being someone else's privacy consultant, since I don't know any more than what's in that FAQ you posted.

Couldn't the kid just create a fake parental email?

Yes but they shouldn’t, if they are caught they get banned.

It's a bit strange, but COPPA doesn't require us to be very energetic about what age you say you are, but as soon as we know you're under 13, we have to get permission from your parents. Just sending an email isn't good enough; we're supposed to use "email plus" which means that we verify the adulthood of the supposed parent by one of several methods, e.g., ask for a scan of their drivers licence and maybe a photo of them holding it. Another way is to get a phone number and talk to the parent. There are a bunch of others. We are deficient in this respect. Luckily, we're a 501(c)3.

What does being a 501(c)3 have to do with COPPA, are the rules different?

Yes, we are exempt from COPPA altogether. We try voluntarily to meet its requirements, but we don't have to. Only businesses.

Oh ok.

Are you saying @joecooldoo and the rest of Snap! Jr. is exempt?
In that case,

same.
Also, do we need a privacy policy?

What is 501(c)3?

Look it up. It is non taxed.

That doesn't answer my question.

It's the name of a section of the federal tax laws. A 501(c)3 organization pays no taxes, and if you donate to it you can count that as a deduction on your own income tax. You have to apply to be one, and they ask a lot of questions.

By contrast, a 501(c)4 organization is a nonprofit industry association, like the Milk Board ("Milk. It does a body good.") or the National Rifle Association ("Guns don't kill people; people kill people."). It pays no taxes, but you don't get a deduction for giving it money.

That's all I know about the tax code. The only reason I know that much is that for a while I was Business Manager of the MIT radio station and had to fill out its tax forms every year, same as people do, but of course different forms. (They made me Business Manager even though I hate business and didn't really want to do it, but we had flunked out three successive Business Managers my freshman year, and meanwhile I was spending all my time at the station and not flunking out, so they decided that qualified me.)

@sir_kitten2 Sorry, but Snap! is free open source and for everyone, not to add legalisms!!! :man_facepalming:t2:.
Also the "legalisms" things are really useless and unnecessary for Snap! and the "COPPA" thing is a really **** of trash.
Also I censor my bad word to not broke the rules of the forum.
(To censor or not censor bad words, Yes!!! :wink:. But, the other bad legalisms or COPPA, No!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:)
Depends on the viewer to view his "favourite things", not to tell to others to view be like his "things".
Also, (The guilt is for the viewer (if the viewer self not like the others), not for other person).
You tell to bh, jens, ... or other persons to force this lie!!!
And @bh, please close this post!!! :pouting_man:t2:
PETA, feminism, racism, COPPA, etc, they are wanted to the Jonald Riden.
(Also is JR, not JunioR)

COPPA IS **** of his ************ (Youtube Kids is not secure for kids, but Snap!, Yes!!!)

ahdgdhgajdghdaggdgahdgdaghdghjadghdahdghdghjdghadhgdghgdaddadgdaghdghadahdskhdshldhdshgsdajkjsksshgdajkhljkdgjashlja;k;sjhdakslkjdhkaldshskalhkjdaskjhdahajkkadsjdhkjdsadhhkaaj!!!
Oh, yeah, i'm angry. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

No, there are some legalisms.

Not really sure what you were trying to say here.

Who is Jonald Riden?