How do i run blocks in javascript?

Remind me again why you guys think programming in Javascript is so much cooler than programming in Snap!?

No idea why @danidanijr wants this, as i said earlier

I'm good at JavaScript, but I don't prefer it over Snap!

Yeah I didn't mean to include everyone. It's just that Javascript is such a horrible programming language and yet about 97% of the forum seems to be from people whose default approach is JS.

what about the ask block function?

var asked = this.doAsk('whats your name')

(i dont know whats the code)

JS is a hosting language. So using JSFunction is equivalent to calling the native library by "casual" programming language. Snap! backed by JS can be quite useful as a fast prototyping tool: Adhoc visualization, minimal data entry, GUI for external devices (robots, protoboards, measurement devices), tests for new HTML/JS APIs.
You know Ken machine learning SNAP experiments, TuneScope from Make To Learn to name a few.

This forum is maintained directly by Snap! devs, so why do you expect the countless stream of a trivial question? How to move a sprite with a keyboard, detect collisions, draw a triangle or circle? Those questions can be answered by manuals, teachers, friends, or the comunity. There are also many resources on the Scratch website. There are whole collections of projects dealing with gravity, force, ray casting or patterns of platformers, RPG, Minecraft, and so on.

Do you expect kids swarm looking how to reverse lists, perform infinite precision calculations with complex numbers, doing media computation with hyperblocks, or estimating the complexity of the algorithms? Almost every such question is a school assignment, so still, no clear answer should be given.

On the other side, there are many posts about quite complex projects converted from Scratch, barely working at a few fps because of some performance issue with long scripts. Your own color library had this problem. But those questions also do not get any serious attention.

So which question do you consider valid and rightful for this forum?

Based on our experience as users of the Scratch forum, what we're hoping for is that the forum will mostly be for discussions among Snap! users. When I spend time on the forum, I guess partly I'm trying to moderate, but what I'm really here for is my role as a teacher: the questions I like to answer are the ones about "what does 'first class' mean anyway?"

Scratch has an "advanced topics" category, but even there, it's not mostly questions about the Scratch source code. More importantly, AT isn't the whole forum! It's a tiny part of it.

So, it's a matter of degree. Both in the sense of how many of what kind of messages we see, and in the sense of what people want to use JS for. "How do I find the sprite's pen color" (before we had the colors library to do it for you) is a reasonable JS question; "how do I write the FOR block in JS," less so.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.