How do I make a menu?

menu script pic (5)

How do you add submenus?

I'm (annoyed) curious about what's going on in this (and other threads). Can you let us know what you're trying to accomplish? You seem to be posting very specific questions that do not relate to programming with Snap at all, but are exclusively about modifying the Snap source code, or using the Snap source code to use widgets from the Snap IDE elsewhere. I'd like to help, but I'm getting very impatient with one question chasing the next one, especially since these are posted under the tags and topics "Snap! Editor" and "Help with Snap!". This makes it appear as though questions like these might have a general interest for regular users / students / teachers of Snap, but they clearly haven't. Not in the least!

See, I don't know how often I have to point this out, this is a community for learning about the powerful ideas of CS, using a programming language called Snap. If you like how Snap is done in JS we've put it all online at Github, and we're giving it all to you, free to read, learn from it, remix, rebrand, whatever! We're even spending considerable efforts documenting how to use our source code, and - frankly - Snap's source code has been tremendously popular and successful at getting remixed by many, many folks around the world.

For leaners, educators curriculum developers, researchers, etc. questions like this one are mostly irrelevant, and for programmers they're mostly trivial: Just read the code and the programming documentation! If you aren't a programmer then modifying the Snap! source code is NOT a great way to become one! Instead, please get started by learning about abstraction, take our online courses, work through the BJC curriculum, learn about recursion and higher order functions.

So, please let us know what this thread is about or I will close it - and the other threads as well -

I just needed help with making a menu block for a big library of custom blocks.
Most of this is just me getting prepared for making a Snap! mod.

This is how you can make menus and submenus:

is this what you're looking for? Because if it's about modding Snap! it doesn't belong here, the topics "Help with Snap!" and "Snap! Editor" are not about how to modify Snap.

Okay, I'm recategorising this topic, and my other ones.
Edit: Done, mostly.

thanks! But even so, it's not and "advanced" topic either, there is nothing remotely "advanced" about using the Snap source code to mod it. Anyone can do it, lots of folks are doing it, and it's really easy for any semi-professional programmer.

Let me remind you that this forum is not there to support Snap! mods, but to support the community of folks interested in learning and using Snap. Again, if you feel you've progressed far enough to venture into Snap's source code and even understand enough of CS to "mod" it, you're welcome to do so, but this forum is not the right place to look for support. Thank you.

There is a topic about modding Snap! on the forums.

There's even an entire category: Mods & Extensions - Snap! Forums

That cat. is about showing off your mods not “how to make mods” or “how to use Snap! github” they are about sharing your programs not help with them. While you can ask for help you shouldn’t ask how to do the whole thing or big parts. Like jens was saying they are making a document about how to make mods and extensions. This does not belong in #advanced-topics:advanced-help-with-snap it be,o gs in #help and when it is done it will belong in #advanced-topics:extensions please change it to #help.

@earthrulerr When one of the Snap! leaders is directly talking about correct use of the forum with one of us, I think it's best to leave the discussion to them :slight_smile:

Specifically, they want to make a custom block that spawns a MenuMorph at the mouse-pointer, with customizable attributes.

Well, read the source, Luke! :smiley:

What about toggle menu with inputs?
Ex: image
How you make it work?

So for me EOT

How do you add submenus? Like when you put a list into one of the item inputs, it becomes a submenu with the first item of the list being the title of the submenu and the other items of the list being the items of the submenu.

i know it's been only a day, but bump

Then you should know you're not supposed to bump this.

I know, but how do I make a submenu?

Bump!
How do I make a submenu in the custom menu? Using a list or an array (preferably a list) with the first item being the label of the submenu, the second one being the title and the rest being the items of the submenu.