What's a good first project using JavaScript in Snap!?

Electrical engineering. These days that mainly means designing computer chips, but also things like high voltage power circuitry and super duper antennas like what the SETI people use.

Ah.

In 1976 the chair of our electrical engineering department, Ed Parish, was kind enough to commission a graduate seminar in which the grad students designed a microcomputer for the School of Education built around the Intel 8080 microprocessor. It had 4,096 bytes of memory, and we programmed it using assembly language (although some folks said that programming it directly using machine code was better). A year later it was possible to buy an Apple II computer already assembled. It had more memory, and we could program it in BASIC (although some folks said that code created with assembly language was better). Some time after that Dan and Molly Watt held a workshop on use of Logo on the Texas Instruments 99/4 with sprites. TI donated a dozen, and we never looked back. Now Snap! offers more capabilities than I ever dreamed was possible. We don't feel that we're missing a thing by using Snap! instead of assembly ... it has all the fun without the pain of finding an extra byte to shoehorn a program into limited memory. Michael Littman teaches a course at Princeton in which students design a 6502 microprocessor, building it from the ground up using discrete electrical components, and use it to control a model railroad with a program written in assembly language. I imagine that they're having fun also. As Brian says, it all depends on your interests.

Then there's Brian Silverman, who has a discrete-transistor-level simulated 6502 running on his laptop. :~)

At MIT, they built a model railroad controller that was run by Strowger switches, the first automatic telephone exchange components. You dialed a three-digit (iirc) number on a rotary telephone dial to select a switch in the layout and then I think 1 for straight ahead or 2 for a turnoff. They decommissioned that system just a few years ago and I was really sad.