Sound URL WIP

So I've been trying this "Get sound from URL" thingy using this Java Script code, and it just returns this:
I don't know how much trickery I have to do to turn this into a Snap! readable sound, so i might need help with this...

replace Audio with Sound

I managed to fix this problem with "Javascript functions"
untitled script pic
Just wait for a few seconds and it plays a sound

... Why

Sound is the sound type that snap uses
Javascript function (url, name) {return new Sound(url, name)}
then you can use it in play blocks and such

honestly i'm surprised this isn't already a primitive. i think i'll make a pr later

True, idk why but i always imagined that "snd_load(url)" existed... But it never did

getting the name is fine, until you report duration, length, samples, etc

Just look at how snap loads sounds from a file, then try to use that, but change it from a local file to a url.

pretty sure file loading uses blobs, which are essentially urls for things that don't actually have a url
that's because pretty much all these web technologies were designed before all the javascript apis for loading files and such

dropping a url in its place should work fine, reading over the code i can't figure out why what i suggested doesn't work
i'll need to do a bunch of testing

found my mistake, it should be return new Sound(new Audio(url), name)
it won't work for your url because of CORS
it works with https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/Sounds/A_bass.wav or any other sound on snap itself

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.