Random block without using random blocks!

I believe physical TPMs can do this, so snap's builtin random number might be truly random, depending on your PC and OS.

Based on what Brian said, I could imagine any analog computer would be capable of it.

Could be; I don't know enough about them to know for sure, but you're probably right. If so, it's because they have special circuitry to measure quantum randomness.

Well, yes and no. Yes, because the voltage levels in an analog circuit are affected by quantum randomness, but in practice the precision with which actually built analog computers could measure those voltages was pretty weak -- much less precise than the ordinary arithmetic of modern digital computers.

I actually discovered something right now:
I'm surprised that this algorithm, for me, generates similar numbers that random.org does:

Also @spaceelephant, can you determine if this algorithm can generate good random data?

It isn't really an algorithom, but a program to fetch data from random.org. If random.org is good, which it is, your program will create good random data.

Hmm... I was expecting an answer like this:

Edit: I was referring to my algorithm as well

i still dont know how you get numbers from lava lamps

I use a website called random.org, which gets their numbers from lava lamps.

yes but how do you get random numbers from lava lamps??

thanks!

interesting
edit: i just posted this how is it a minute old???

Oh, I see, What does new random do though? I don't have the definition.

Here:

It seems to always create even numbers. You might want to fix that. Using the date, hour, etc is not helping, because those are derived from time in milliseconds in snap. Time in milliseconds is the total number of milliseconds since 1970, not a number under 1000. I am currently running a test, and so far it seems to be about even. I don't know if that is exact though.

Umm... Not always for me.

Yes, I know. I use them because calculating the difference with Unix time will create a small but a good difference, so I can make it more random using operations.

Weird

In any case, it does create evenly distributed pseudorandom numbers, at least if your clock continues to advance.

Could you explain this better?