No user with this username exists

1. What browsers show this problem?
    Firefox
  2. Please share an example project (if possible).
    Not a project bug.
  3. Describes the steps to reproduce this issue.
    Try to go to my own public page via the title bar.
  4. What does Snap! currently do?
    grafik
  5. What should Snap! do instead?
    Show my public page.

Well, that's because that username really does not exist :slight_smile:

Isn't your username " f+m fmbg"? If so, here's your page:

Okay, that works, thanks!:slight_smile: But why does my username not exist?:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

+ is used as a space in snap links

That's because of how HTTP URL encoding works and also because of how the forum software removed all spaces and symbols from your username automatically. Sigh :confounded:

@cycomachead do you think that could be a problem? What if two users have usernames that collide when Discourse strips them off all special chars? I'm hoping Discourse is going to be smart enough to create a different username if two of them collide?

My username on the Snap website is "donotforgetmycode_snap" but the forum changes it to "donotforgetmycode_sn".

Ugh, yes. I do think this is a problem. :frowning:

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but this is why some characters are generally disallowed.
We don't have lots of restrictions that Discourse has.

@cycomachead it seems that in Discourse you can have multiple emails per user, so we could use your trick of adding the user id to the email just for login purposes, but then only send notifications to the secondary email. Would that work?

I can’t figure out yet if the secondary emails work right with SSO and if we can control the notification settings. But it is an option. Otherwise we might need a discourse plugin to customize something.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/additional-email-address-per-user-account-support/59847/43 didn’t sound promising.